stock internals turbo, is it worth it?

strattoc

Jan 8, 2011
Cali
I'm really just looking for a yes or no answer.

I'm trying to decide how or what to spend my tax money on, so here goes..... I'm really wanting to waste, I mean invest my entire check on my car. I've been looking at superchargers and turbos, and I really like the on3 kit just because its cheap and looks like it would be way more upgradeable in the future.

So my question is, I have a stock internal 302 with 100,xxx miles on it, with minimal bolt ons. So would it be worth or even smart to spend the money on a turbo kit? I would have to convert to MAF and injectors and all that. I somewhat want to spend the money on other stuff like suspension and interior, but I really want something like a turbo or supercharger to completely change my car.

If not I've also been thinking of selling my car and using my tax check as a downpayment on another car. I just dont know because I cant even get 2500 for my car here because its not smog-able as it is. Someone please weigh in and set me straight.

• Sponsors (?)

here is the list of things I would do rather than a turbo kit:

-t5 swap
-subframe connectors
-billstein shocks and struts
-rear control arms
-3.73 gear swap
-MAF conversion and bigger injectors

I just cant decide, I know this car is a bottomless pit that I can throw money into and never see an end. And I know I will never see any of the money back if I have to sell it.

I just wonder if a 2500 car with a 2000 turbo kit equals a 4500 car?

Define "worth it." The resale value for a highly modified fox body Mustang is pennies on the dollar at best. The term "worth it," from a financial standpoint, is when revenue exceeds expenditure. Good luck with that one, haha. :rlaugh:

here is the list of things I would do rather than a turbo kit:

-t5 swap
-subframe connectors
-billstein shocks and struts
-rear control arms
-3.73 gear swap
-MAF conversion and bigger injectors

I just cant decide, I know this car is a bottomless pit that I can throw money into and never see an end. And I know I will never see any of the money back if I have to sell it.

I just wonder if a 2500 car with a 2000 turbo kit equals a 4500 car?

No. I'd think it'd be a 2500.00 car w/ a 2000.00 turbo that you'd have to sell for 2500.00.

Coming from a modification addict, whatever you do to dramatically change the car performance wise will be a double edge sword.

On one side of the blade, you will become accustomed to the new power level and want more.
On the other side, you will quickly become annoyed at the increase in collateral damage that will start to occur as a result of an obnoxious power adder like a turbo or S/C.
Damage to your wallet, driveability, reliability.

I am a proponenet of "fun" performance mods that make the car more fun to drive (everyday). Brakes, suspension, chassis, interior replacements like carpet and seats, and some bolt on engine mods. Make it more enjoyable, and you may like it enough to keep it.

I completely disagree. You'd get $5k all day for a basicly otherwise stock pretty clean fox. For some reason thats the way it is.

I'd leave the aod in it, guessing thats what you have get a convertor and a VB. My car was a stick and I put a auto in it and it was night and day. turbo+auto the way to go. Remember injectors, mass air conversion, fuel pump and a tune all adds up. It would probably be $1000ish more. What gears and what size tire do you run currently? 3.73 might not be your best bet. Generally, 3.27 and a 26" tire and 3.55 and a 28" tire is about right.