stroked 351W (408) header help needed please

mooshaus

Aug 15, 2006
I have a 1969 Mach 1 which currently has a 351C with full hooker headers that drag constantly. I am building a 351W (408) and in the process I want to make the car more enjoyable to ride on these West Virginia roads! I've many of the posts about headers and I'm still undecided on which ones I should buy. I have Dart heads, the car has power steering, and I'm mating the engine to an AOD tranny. I plan on coating the headers to help keep it cool as well. What do you guys think I should buy? Thanks in advance for any help!

• Sponsors (?)

Had the same deal. My choices come down to accufab and fpa. Both sound like great headers. Expensive but I think worth it. Call both companies and talk to them. Then just make your own decision. It comes down to many things. Dart heads, do they have the narrow or wide bolt pattern??

Thanks guys. I'm running new Dart heads so they are the normal non-wide bolt pattern. I hope to add a rack and pinion during this swap if I can find a sponsor! Any manipulation needed on either of the headers listed? I hate the thoughts of knocking a pipe in 1/4 in just to get 1/4 inch clearance ya know?

Here is the clearance that I have on my narrow bay 65' with a 393w, Accufabs and a big arse Lakewood scattershield. Has the normal bolt pattern too. Should work super in your 69'.

cokechallenge.jpg

351 Windsor headers

I put Headman Shorty headers in my '68. The cost was low even if you want them coated. The passenger side fit perfectly. The drivers side on mine was too close to the firewall, but my car has been wrecked on the drivers side by a previous owner. It could have frame damage from that wreck. The shorties have the tubes high so they shouldn't interfere with anything low like power steering and bellhousings. I had to bend my kickdown lever a little as well.