Stuck trying to drop Fuel Tank

Timin

Founding Member
Jul 23, 2001
Houston
I am in the process of replacing my fuel pump, but I am stuck at the bane of my existence; removing the last fuel line. This fuel line appears to be smaller than the 2 lines that feed into the Fuel Filter (3/8), so I picked up the 5/16 Fuel Line remover tool as well.

I got 2 lines off the fuel filter and removed the filter, but I am unable to get this last line off with either tool. Do I need another size fuel line remover or should one of these two work?

75682d1249276902-1998-mustang-fuel-pump-removal-installation-step8.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Timin,

I can't answer your question but I got a "variety pack" of colored, plastic fuel line tools from AutoZone for just a few bucks. I don't know what sizes they are but they range in size from very small to hefty.

Shorter answer: I think you need to get another fuel line tool (1/4"? 5/16"?) for the smallest line.

Chris

Yup, the variety pack of tools will help you know that you have the correct sized disconnect tool for the job.

You can try putting a little grease on the end of the disconnect tool. The lock is just a spring and it can be difficult to fully engauge the tool sometimes. You may have to wiggle the connections while pulling them apart to get them apart.

Yeah I had found an article from someone swapping out the pump on another 98. He stated that he used a 5/16 remover for the fuel line at the top of the image. I'll give it some more work, and if all else fails i'll end up buying that pack at AutoZone bhuff is referring to.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to but we will see after another attempt tomorrow. Thanks guys, with any luck the stang can be started up for the first time in about a year tomorrow evening.

-Karl