stupidity of some....

jlangholzj

Mustang Master
Oct 23, 2006
CLT
well so i took my car to a shop to get the new tires and rims put on. the guy told me that i needed new tie rod ends and ball joints, wich is why the tires were shot! well so he ordered parts from our local parts house and well its a mess. ....

its been there for about a week, wich it only should take about 2 days. next day, next day, ect. so after a little persuation :) he got on it finally. well he called me and told me the tie rod ends didn't fit. he ordered them for a 72 so why aren't they fitting??? A 72!!! &$^#*(@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH:bang:
weeeelll the door tag said 72 on it.:nonono: DORK!!!

i told him twice as in TWO TIMES!!!! that it was a 68 UAUAAAAAHHHHH!!!! so its going to be done monday afternoon.

besides there were 3 body style changes from 68 to 72!! :nonono:
:stupid:

• Sponsors (?)

this is exactly why i never let shops order parts for me. as to where he got the 72 model year from, who freaking knows as i dont even think there was a 72 body code for the 68 mustang. i may be wrong on that though.

My car is such a mishmash of parts from different Fords that I wouldn't expect a mechanic to figure it out. '57 rear end, latemodel 302, and soon some Granada brakes. I doubt they would know what my SVO is. I did take to a smog guy that at least knew it was rare. Kinda caught me off guard. :)

A lot of places can't even do an oil change without messing up. That's why I do all my own work. Not everyone can and I realize that, but I recommend it if possible.

well the reason why it ended up there was it needed a front end align... probally should've taken it to our local dealership instead. other than that, either our mustang specialty shop or myself (and dad) do all the work.

w00t! cardomain site!! same username check it out!

well so i took my car to a shop to get the new tires and rims put on. the guy told me that i needed new tie rod ends and ball joints, wich is why the tires were shot! well so he ordered parts from our local parts house and well its a mess. ....

its been there for about a week, wich it only should take about 2 days. next day, next day, ect. so after a little persuation :) he got on it finally. well he called me and told me the tie rod ends didn't fit. he ordered them for a 72 so why aren't they fitting??? A 72!!! &$^#*(@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH:bang:
weeeelll the door tag said 72 on it.:nonono: DORK!!!

i told him twice as in TWO TIMES!!!! that it was a 68 UAUAAAAAHHHHH!!!! so its going to be done monday afternoon.

besides there were 3 body style changes from 68 to 72!! :nonono:
:stupid:

So why didn't you do the work yourself? And why do you like to use the word "well" everywhere?

because i dont have the tools or experience to balance and align tires. the rest, yeah i could've but i never imagined it would be that long. really it wasnt that bad.

are you an english teacher or what??

The tire mounting is obvious. I meant the suspension work. Just as a side note, the last place I would ever hand my fastback over to for era specific work would be my local tire mounting shop.

oh and BTW: Aside from being a student, I am an editor/writer for Move.com and Realtor.com ;) so I couldn't help but notice all your many uses of the word "well". It made me wince every time. lol sorry. I correct this stuff all day long, so it just pops out at me.

Just as a side note, the last place I would ever hand my fastback to over for era specific work would be my local tire mounting shop.

:stupid: :stupid: there was a tire store here years ago that when they put tires on would do an "inspection" of your cars suspension, and then tell you you need $300 of suspension work. they tried this with one of my college instructors who had just that day rebuilt the suspension in his truck. he went to the store manager and had him look up under the truck and tell him what he saw. the store manager said he saw a lot of new parts, and my instructor said, yep, i just rebuilt the suspension today. teach your sales people to at least get their "inspection" right. the he whipped out his business card indicating that he owned one of the top auto repair shops in the city.

:stupid: :stupid: there was a tire store here years ago that when they put tires on would do an "inspection" of your cars suspension, and then tell you you need $300 of suspension work.

Yep, good ol' El Campo Tire..... are they finally out of business now? Two vehicles of mine (actually both were Mrs StDr's Daily Drivers) went through their "inspection" and failed miserably; incuding what had to be their all-time favorite "bad part". The second time, she and I together called them on it...... I don't know exactly how "car-illiterate" they thought my young wife was; but she had her stuff together and called me down to the Campbell Ave store so the purported "suspension expert" could show both of us the extent of the damage/wear on her 6 month old '86 Tempo. :lol:

When I got there; she very politely asked the guy to put it back up on the lift and show us where, exactly, the Pittman Arm was on that little Rack & Pinon car! For some strange reason, he couldn't point it out; but he just knew it was bad :p :p :p
I think that was also the first time I ever heard her use the term "You Dork!" on somebody other than me :rlaugh:

sears tire center by me is a joke as well. They have good prices on tires but overcharge you for every other damn thing they can think of.

I get some dirty looks when I buy just tires and tell them I'll mount them myself and have them professionally balanced. They're all ricers anyways, I could go all day about these idiots. The one guy tried to rip my sister off one time and I made him point out every charge on the computer screen, and then add them up to show how off it was. Took her car to BJ's and never looked back.

I correct this stuff all day long, so it just pops out at me.

:) i dont know how many of you livein rural areas, but i work for a company called the nature canservancy and after 3 years of shopping thistle, they've ruined me. every one i see i have to kill :) that and everytime i hear cattle management practices i think PATCH BURN GRAZING!!!

I once bought some new tires and wheels outright and had the idiots try to charge me a tire disposal fee. No installation either, just mounting, balancing, and throwing them in the back of my truck. :nono:

OH god.......so that just brough memory of mine. One time I brought the fastback to Tire Pro's to have new tires put on. Out of curiosity I asked the guy at the front desk if the workers in the back knew what to torque the wheels to. He said: "Sure, they use impact wrenches that are preset".........HA MY ASS THEY'RE PRESET..........Once again out of curiosity when I got back home I figured I should re-torque them just for safe measure with a torque wrench. THOSE F****RS jammed my lug nuts to 105-120lbs/ft-tq!!!! I was shocked they didn't strip the studs clean out of the discs.....From then on, I almost always borrowed a friends SUV or truck and brought the tires to get mounted on the wheels only. It's shocking how little many mechanics out there really know (or at least at the franchised chain stores). I go into violent episodes when I NEED to bring a vehicle to a shop and have someone else work on it. But it's only then that i need it the most, it's basically a last ditch effort at that point.

Years ago my folks brought their Explorer into a(really the only) GoodYear tire place here in Lancaster for a tire rotation. The idiot doing it hammered the lugnuts on just like you describe, except a few had to have a socket hammered over them and big breaker + cheater to get them off later. :notnice:

Did I mention that I do all my own work?

Yep, good ol' El Campo Tire..... are they finally out of business now? Two vehicles of mine (actually both were Mrs StDr's Daily Drivers) went through their "inspection" and failed miserably; incuding what had to be their all-time favorite "bad part". The second time, she and I together called them on it...... I don't know exactly how "car-illiterate" they thought my young wife was; but she had her stuff together and called me down to the Campbell Ave store so the purported "suspension expert" could show both of us the extent of the damage/wear on her 6 month old '86 Tempo. :lol:

El Campo and Campbell Ave, You had to have been in Tucson. LOL

Absolutely....... rbohm typed that comment about the tire shop; knowing that he is in Tucson, it wasa no-brainer to figure out what store he was talking about. And yes, gotta love those good times at the El Campo on Campbell Ave between Prince and the River.
(Yeahyeahyeah, I know the Rillito River is just a dry wash. So is the Santa Cruz (upstream of the Ina Road Wastewater Treatment Facility) :D

So, where were you on October 6, 1983??????? :rlaugh: