Sub frame connectors

Moondog2178

Mar 10, 2024
New York
Hi all, I’m looking to do my first mod on my 89 LX 5.0 convertible. A few here recommended sub frame connectors to stiffen up the ride. My mechanic said the same thing and flowmaster 40 series to make it sound the way it’s supposed to. Can anyone send me links for which ones to buy? Mechanic told me to use summit racing to purchase them from. Just want to make sure I buy the right ones. Came across these.

Attachments

• IMG_7208.png
    IMG_7208.png
    789.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Sponsors (?)

You'll be better off using subframe connectors that have a crossbar that bolts under the seat. I use Stifflers subframe connectors (and their FIT System) on my 2000 GT convertible autocross car. I've been very impressed with the quality of every Stifflers part I've purchased. The Stifflers subframe connectors are also much less expensive. See the link below. Make sure to read the note about 1983-1993 Convertible models needing "brace modification."

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You'll be better off using subframe connectors that have a crossbar that bolts under the seat. I use Stifflers subframe connectors (and their FIT System) on my 2000 GT convertible autocross car. I've been very impressed with the quality of every Stifflers part I've purchased. The Stifflers subframe connectors are also much less expensive. See the link below. Make sure to read the note about 1983-1993 Convertible models needing "brace modification."

I saw those on summit racings site but they didn’t have them in stock. I will get these. What does brace modification mean? Will my mechanic have a problem installing them

I saw those on summit racings site but they didn’t have them in stock. I will get these. What does brace modification mean? Will my mechanic have a problem installing them
You don't have to buy them from Summit... LMR has free shipping at around $100... Good people there...

I haven't used the Stifflers subframe connectors on a Fox Body Convertible, so I don't have personal experience with the brace modifications. The modifications are detailed in the instructions. Here's the PDF:

The modifications appear to be straightforward, but they will add time (and cost) to the installation.

I haven't used the Stifflers subframe connectors on a Fox Body Convertible, so I don't have personal experience with the brace modifications. The modifications are detailed in the instructions. Here's the PDF:

The modifications appear to be straightforward, but they will add time (and cost) to the installation.
I’m sure he’ll know what to do. He recommended putting them on and they do a lot of work with mustangs. Thanks for your help

As far as suspension or chassis, I'd go with either Stifflers or Maximum Motorsports (and personally have both for my car). My SFC's are the MM full length powdercoated units and they are excellent with great install instructions. I've ordered thousands of dollars in parts from www.lmr.com and they are awesome with fantastic customer service, I'd highly recommend them.

MM set

Stifflers Set

Optional but I would on a vert.

Global West on both of my Foxes. I like how they install next to the stock subrames so I did not loose any ground clearance as both my cars are fairly low.

The seat supports are a must in my opinion no matter what brand you go with. Kenny Brown also makes one hell of a subframe connector system.

As far as suspension or chassis, I'd go with either Stifflers or Maximum Motorsports (and personally have both for my car). My SFC's are the MM full length powdercoated units and they are excellent with great install instructions. I've ordered thousands of dollars in parts from www.lmr.com and they are awesome with fantastic customer service, I'd highly recommend them.

MM set

Stifflers Set

Optional but I would on a vert.
Thanks. I ended buying the stifflers SFC. Cheaper than MMs. Can the web brace kit be added later on if I feel I need it?

Thanks. I ended buying the stifflers SFC. Cheaper than MMs. Can the web brace kit be added later on if I feel I need it?
Yep, not a problem to add later.

Wouldn't the web bracing be something more for a track car? No doubt it works but seems like overkill for a street car?
I think it's overkill anyway for the most part, but I can see how it might help on a vert. On a track car you're better off with a cage anyway.

Huge difference on my '85 when I had the full length subframe connectors and jacking rails/pinch weld braces/rocker reinforcements- whatever you want to call them- installed. Just more solid and rigid than foxen with subframe connectors only. It sure did make getting the car in the air fast and easy too.