Subframe installation done right

HighMileage

Aug 7, 2004
Is it possible to install subframes without a drive up ramp?

If the shop doesn't have a ramp, :(
is there a special way of lifting the car?

Or am I better off passing on a shop without a ramp? :nono:

• Sponsors (?)

Me and my boss did my full length subframes about a year ago on a "non-drive up ramp" lift. they have been great. i wish i remember where we jacked it up at but a year ago is a very long time for my memory. all i know is that it is possible and pretty easy. just be sure to use rubber pads instead of metal on metal. good luck

HighMileage said:
Is it possible to install subframes without a drive up ramp?

If the shop doesn't have a ramp, :(
is there a special way of lifting the car?

Or am I better off passing on a shop without a ramp? :nono:

I got my SFC from D&D and they told me to take it to a shop that has a drive on ramp. AS mentioned, they said the weight of the car had to be on the wheels when installed. Don't know how true that is, but I decided not to risk it and took it to a shop with a drive-on ramp.

I did mine by jacking up the front of my car putting blocks under the wheels then putting a jack under the diff in the back. Then I tack welded them in laying on the floor then lifted it up all the way on the lift and finished welding worked fine..

My buddy has wood boxes made (4) about 1 1/2 feet tall and about 2 sq ft on top, that he built for working on his dads racecar, jacked the car up, put the boxes under the tires, and welded the sfc's. Something handy to build if you have a few hours and nothing to do.