Suggestions for Cooling

87GT 306

Oct 11, 2004
Springfield MA
I just got my motor built but it runs a little higher(temp) than I think it is supposed to. I was cruisin tonite and it got up in 210-220 range, so I parked it for the night. This new motor has more compression and is running on a stock radiator with a used t-stat. I believe these are the source of my high temp issues. Have any of you experienced this and what setup should I go with? I was thinking a Griffin Rad. , and new 180 t-stat.

mods in sig

• Sponsors (?)

Does it run hotter when idling or on the highway?

The stat would be a good place to start (not that it will fix the issue, but I like to have fresh ones every so often). I am a fan of the Mr Gasket units. I dropped nearly 10*F cooler running one (pesky cheapo stats dont open all the way sometimes till 10-15*F after their rated temp, depending upon system pressure).

If you want, a nice Alum radiator or even a 3 core copper/brass unit might help things out (esp if you are running hot - or not cooling down - while on the highway). Be sure there is some sort of air dam under the radiator as well.

More info would help with more specific answers (I mentioned nothing about the fan situation, but would if more about the conditions was known).

Good luck.

180 T stat and stock radiator (likely original :( ) kept me in the high 180's to 200 in normal driving on 80 degree days. After taking advice from Hissin50 (JT) I took the time to replace my fan clutch (and fan since it was fairly inexpensive). Result from my work and money spent is 180-185..with a one time high of 195 when stuck in traffic and outside temp was 98*.

It runs hot just driving around stop and go. I was thinking of putting some water wetter in to see how that works but Ive heard good and bad about it and dont know if it is ok to use with aluminum heads. Does the summit fit the mustang without modifications?

If it runs hotter in stop and go traffic (and cools to your satisfaction while at speed, etc), then I would look at the fan situation.
A wetting agent should be fine with aluminum, but I would not want to use that stuff as a means to try and fix an issue. Once you are happy, toss some in for additional benefit.

Derek - glad to hear you swapped parts - hopefully they work as well as you hoped. :)

JT is 100% correct (hissin50).

The stock radiator must have been designed for the 4 cylinder models. In fact, most four cylinder cars come with better radiators than what's on a stock foxbody. Ford from 79 - 93 upraded everything but the radiator. Plus, take in consideration that crap has probally built up in the radiator over the years and you can't get all of it off, maby some of the loose stuff, but the hard, baked on stuff won't come off.

You can get the AFCO or Griffin radiator for $180-190. They arn't cheap or anything, they just don't come with the tranny cooler, which should be run with an aftermarket external cooler anyways. A 3 core copper/brass goes for about the same amount, but isn't won't quite do as well, go alumimum.

I am glad JT has some experince with those high-flow T stats, I have been wanting to try one. :nice: Also, if they do go bad, they get stuck in the open position, a definate plus.

Check the fan clutch, when the car is warm it should actually be blowing air. You should feel resistance (shut engine off first) when you try to spin the fan by hand. If not, consider a replacment. Either a good electrical or a setup like JT has, metal fan with heavy duty clutch.

I would go ahead and order a AFCO or Griffin radiator and a 180* Mr. Gasket T-stat. While your waiting for it to arrive, drain all the coolant out and add water and the Prestone Superflush and run that for a few days. Then when you install the new radiator, leave the t-stat and upper hose off and keep the garden hose in the radiator and run the engine with so it will flush it all out. Then drain everything, install the t-stat and upper hose, add about 15-30% antifreeze, a bottle or waterwetter or two, and the rest with distilled water.

twolo4u2c2 said:
hey dagger....I just recieve my afco rad off ebay for 179 shipped. Its a grat looking radiator and very well built. go for it.

Sweet. I'll be looking to order one in the next week or two. Let me know how the hose install goes. From what I understand, the bottom fixture is a 1/4 inch larger than stock.

90mustangGT said:
I am glad JT has some experince with those high-flow T stats, I have been wanting to try one. :nice: Also, if they do go bad, they get stuck in the open position, a definate plus......

Jason, yeah I am a huge fan of those stats. I researched them fairly well when I got the fox and now I try not to run anything in any car (family's cars, etc) but them. I like 'em that much.

90mustangGT said:
I would go ahead and order a AFCO or Griffin radiator and a 180* Mr. Gasket T-stat. While your waiting for it to arrive, drain all the coolant out and add water and the Prestone Superflush and run that for a few days. Then when you install the new radiator, leave the t-stat and upper hose off and keep the garden hose in the radiator and run the engine with so it will flush it all out. Then drain everything, install the t-stat and upper hose, add about 15-30% antifreeze, a bottle or waterwetter or two, and the rest with distilled water.

That is some OUTSTANDING advice - I wish I had thought of it while waiting for my Afco to arrive (thanks to Dags, Rick, et al who helped be out with that situation. :nice: ). I had flushed my system a couple weeks before installing the new radiator (And it was a thorough flush with no stat installed) and I still had crud in the system later on (I wonder if stuff was breaking loose with the fresh coolant in the system).

If I did not mention it, I had to shorten the upper hose for the 94GT, but that was because my new radiator is actually less wide than the stocker. The hoses actually were the right I.D. to fit on the radiator bungs. I also dont know if foxes have different size rad hoses and that is what you guys are talking about.

And OT: Jason, thanks for the tips/info with the Alterstart alternator. I went with the 160 amp unit and am waiting for it to arrive. :nice:

Thanks JT, and your welcome.

New coolant will seem to release old crud. Coolant actually is somewhat a solvent, old dirty coolant isn't, so when you put in new coolant, it will break up old crud. At work we have a coolant flush machine I have learned to love. It pushes coolant backward through the system and really cleans them out. It also eliminates air pockets so I even use it for filling a radiator, it's real quick also because I don't have to wait for the system to purge.

I think I should mention: Be very carefull when dealing with a cooling system. It may seem simple and it's not hard to work on, but it can be very dangerous. I know people disfigured by antifreeze. Steampockets can be a bitch.

About a month ago I was standing over the radiator adjusting the air intake hose (not a mustang) after filling the radiator and suddenly the very calm coolant a second before did an old-faithfull on me and soaked me as well as burned the crap out of me. I was lucky it was my chest my uniform blocked it. I still had some good burns around my callar bone and my chest was red for a few days.

just an FYI. the brass robertshaw's you see in autozones etc are EXACTLY the same as the Mr Gasket ones. I had both and did a side by side comparison. absolutely no difference.

Scott