supercharging my way to 700hp!

CobraXtreme

Jun 4, 2004
Hello! My family and I have decided to dedicate the next few months to turning my 01 cobra into a 700hp+ beast.

We will order a few parts each month for the rest of the year (it it takes that long) , I am just asking for some help...

I know to supercharge a 2001 svt cobra mustang, you need to reinforce the engine (aka, prep the engine for the supercharger) e.g. New headers / bottom / etc..

I know i am asking alot, but i would surely be extremely grateful if you guys could help me out with this...

I am looking at a Saleen supercharger right now ( http://www.saleen.com/store2000/detail_new.asp?car=saleen&prodid=178-553) , what i need help with, is a list of all the things that i would need to upgrade to support this kind of power...

I will order each part to upgrade once a month, until the car is FULLY Prepped to take the supercharger, then i will finally purchase the supercharger.

If you could give me a list of things (and possibly, the names of the upgraded items, like, where i could get them, or what they would be called) I would be most grateful, thank you very much! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Forged rods, forged pistons, BIG huge blower such as a Vortech JT-trim(I don't think you can get there with the 99/01 Kenne Bell)

That Saleen supercharger definately won't get you to 700hp...

Better yet, you could go with at turbo setup and then sky's the limit on power potential...

Holy christ, i diddnt think i would have to use 26 psi to get 700 hp, wont the engine (no matter how tuned) wear itself to nothing in no time?
Would i be better off getting a different supercharger , or a whole turbo kit? (i thought the most i would ever use would be 16+) lol, or would it be the same for anything, about 25+psi for a 701rwhp car? Wouldnt 26psi REALLY , and i mean REALLY be pushing it? I want to have this car last more than a year... :(

Wait a second, i have a 2001 cobra, so this

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/cobra03/cobra03_2400.htm

Would not work on mine correct, hence, i dont see an 01 700hp supercharger!

forged long block...run high boost all day, rev it to 8k rpm..have fun!!

that way you could put the KB 2.2L on there or maybe the 2.4L that's supposed to be coming out.

or get a twin turbo kit :drool:

I say change the engine to start, buy something that starts at about 500 or 600 horse and then work your way up from there. Chances are that would be a bit cheaper, easier, and more reliable then trying to get your block up to 700.

man i never thought of buying a whole new block, i thought that 4.6lv8 would be sufficient, so if i got my 4.6L block forged, i could get that new 2.4L Supercharger, and it would run fine all day around 650+hp ?

it would be alot easier if you went with a 5.4 block and/or a turbo setup (single or twin). if you do go with a blower setup youll have to go big, get something from ATI, Vortech or a Paxton NOVI 2000. This is a big project that will involve a lot of research that you cant find in just one thread.

Well if it cant be 700hp, i wouldnt mind 650,or even 600, (not that 600 is nothing LOL) , I mean, if i forged my block, and got a KB SuperCharger, wouldnt that be sufficient for something? at 8 psi i would be at what, 450, so at 16 i suppose some where around 550 - 600 ? Or am i just asking for trouble here¿

first off what are you talking here power to the wheels or flywheel power from the motor? that will make a big difference. 600 flywheel HP and you can use the stock block. another thing is you need to keep in mind that basically for your car to handle that power you will need to turn it into a race car. that would cost just as much money if not more $$ than your motor setup and the car will look nothing like it does now, and the whole family would never be able to ride in it. and honestly if you are thinking about reliability with those crazy power levels, really you want to forget about superchargers and go with a turbo setup. turbos reduce wear on the engine because you arent sucking power from off the crankshaft to turn your blower. there are alot of factors here but anything is possible with enough money. first thing to figgure out is exactly how much power you want and what kind of car this is: street, race or somewhere in between. worry about how youll get there after you determine this.

COBRA90GT said:
You're probably better off selling the '01 and then modding a used '03 snake...

What he said. :lol: But seriously. Rydeon has some made some important points also.
First. Do you really need 700 rwhp? Do you just like the sound of that number. Don't get me wrong, I like it too. Just a thought, It's not just your motor but a number of different areas of your car you will need to re-work/upgrade if you are serious about putting down that kind of HP and keep it reliable. RELIABLE. Damn, what a word.
Anyway, All of the guys here have brought up some good points. You do have a few options.
1. Sell your car and purchase an 03/04 Cobra and go the Kenne Bell route. That will get you right into the ballpark you want including a CAI (cold air intake) free flowing exhaust, and most importantly, a new tune. There are a few other bolt ons you could add also. The sky is the limit.
2. Keep your car (01) and go with the biggest centrifical blower you can, pulley it down, new tune, exhaust and drive the piss out of it until something breaks. Something will.
3. Dump way too much money into your 01 by building or swapping a nice forged bottom end motor in there and going with everything possible to support the big power you want. You still need that blower too! And what about your IRS, and everything else to top off that totally built motor. (turbo is an option here also, but at a price.) I'd love to have a turbo stang. ??? :shrug:

That's how I see it. If the car has sentimental value then I think that alone can answer your question. My friends N/A GT has NO blower, and NO spray, the thing is gutted, and the motor looks stock at first glance 305 rwhp. Forged wheels, cams, and lot's of secret port and polishing and he run's high 11's.

My S351 R-code makes around 580 rwhp and from the launch I'm roasting the clutch or spinning all the way through 3rd gear to get low 11's. (on KD's)

It's not always how much hp you can advertise on your license plate, it's about how you get it to the ground. Unless all you want to do is race from a roll all day. The choice is yours. Good luck.

no no no you got it all wrong.

700 hp on an 01 cobra is possible, and so is that engine lasting all year / if you only drive it like once a week. next I DONT THINK SALEEN MAKES A BLOWER FOR COBRAS. :D /first off you should look at the SHM website I think you can find out alot there. a 600 HP street car is possible but you need to keep in mind that you have weak rear axles ( I have replaced mine once ) a weak transmission ( its not so much the transmission its the clutch fork that shifts they sell modified versions of these at D&D; however 2 transmissions) and that goofy IRS that keeps the wheels hopping, emissions might come into play.
I would consider a roll bar at these HP levels especially on that convertible. you should really gut it out to lighten up the car too.

anyways check out the 2.2L blowzilla from Kenne bell or check out TDC for a sweet turbo kit, there are tons of shops who can forge your block but just by these mods you might as well be a own your own shop cause they will cost you a pretty penny.

some more good advice is dont struggle with trying to be king of the street, there will always be some one faster. I'm not saying you you shouldn't work on your car, but upgrade parts as they break, this has always worked good for me. :nice:
:banana:

I agree that you're a prime candidate to research your goal, but first define your goal.

Figure out what you want and we can help point you in the right direction. Helping someone else spend there money is what these forums are all about. :)

Sean Hyland has a book on on max performance tuning for the 4.6. It has alot of great information about supercharging and what it will require of the other components in your engine. There are also a number of "succesful packages" that he has detailed that will give you a good idea of what it will take to reach your goal. Keep in mind that you may have to be running 100 octane race gas with that kind of power. That isn't cheap either.

1997cobrawhite
I actually already recommended this book to cobraxtreme.
cobraxtreme
check out the sean hyland book, it will help you to understand what is going on. also, check out this thread over at corral.net
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494300
the guy's name is ZO6KILLR....if you want 700 HP you are gonna have to do somthing like he is doing...you really should do a turbo setup for those kind of HP levels. honestly, I think you should have a custom 4.6 built with a lightened crank, forged h-beam rods, forged pistons 9.25-1 CR...stock 03/04 Cobra/Mach heads (highest flowing production DOHC heads) then put a procharger P1SC setup on it, and call it a day. with this combo you should be able to get to 450 rwhp pretty easily. anything more than that is going to be rediculously expensive. also keep in mind that you have to find a happy medium between performance and driveability. a car with lots of power needs some serious drivetrain mods and most likely a full roll cage which makes it tough to cruise around with the whole family.
later
ian
p.s. I think that KB superchargers are limited on the amount of horsepower they can make because of the heat that they produce, so you'd have to come up with a cooling system for that, also they are really heavy. and the saleen series 4 supercharger is for 2V motors. i don't think they make one for a 4V.

Here is the setup...

Forged Shortblock for whoever you chose....9:1 compression

Fully Race ported 03 Mach 1, Cobra, Marauder Heads, with Comp springs and Ferrea Valves, all matched with Custom Comp Cams...Along with Ported/Extrude Honed Intake

Bullitt Proof Drivetrain, TKO 2 (4.10)or Viper Spec T56(4.56) Alum Driveshaft

33 spline axles,Eaton, Welded axle Tubes,TQ BOX Kit etc etc

SHM Stepped 1 7/8 LTs with O/R X and 3 Inch Magnaflow exhaust

Fuel System

60# injectors
03 Cobra Tank and Pump with Aviator Pumps

And the Power adder of Choice...Of course Novi 2000 2.8 RR Pullie (AFM Powerpipe)with 8 Rib Setup(with The ported Heads,Intake you should see ~18PSI)

SCT Tune to bring it all together!

and dont think it cant be done...there are a ton of 600+ rwhp 2 valves out!

It can be done but it takes alot of cash...FYI my buddy Jay made 660 RWhp with his 03 Procharged Cobra on stock heads and cams...He makes the same with the Kenne Belle too Just a better curve!

Talk to a builder. If you're serious about making reliable horsepower, call up one of the big names and tell them you want to make 700hp out of an 01 cobra. You're going to need a big blower (novi 2000, vortech JT-trim), a turbo, or one hell of a motor with spray.

dude, if you want 700HP you are gonna be spending around 20 grand in mods. you might want to keep that in mind....unless you can do a lot of the work yourself
can't just buy a supercharger and a set of rods and pistons.
heads($$)valvetrain,balancing, fuel system-fuel pumps, intake manifold, injectors(may come with kit), tune,cooling system, clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, gears, posi, rebuild rear end(after solid axle swap-$$$$) axle tubes, axles,suspension stuff up the ass,headers, x-pipe, catback, tires, roll cage. and the list just goes on and friggin on!!
good luck
Ian