Suspension: Drag Racing vs. Road Racing

crewwolfy

May 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I know there are different suggested suspensions, depending on your race style. Can the more experienced out there list the standard setup for these types, along with any opinions/views you personally have? Also I know of BMR (nice quality to price ratio), but other quality suspension manufacturers listed would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

crewwolfy said:
I know there are different suggested suspensions, depending on your race style. Can the more experienced out there list the standard setup for these types, along with any opinions/views you personally have? Also I know of BMR (nice quality to price ratio), but other quality suspension manufacturers listed would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

You kind of answered your own question. What is your intended use of the car?

Is it your daily driver?
Do you enjoy driving around corners hard?
Do you only drag the car?

If you enjoy a car that handles around corners forget anything drag. This doesn't mean you can't drag with the car but a drag race setup usually means disconnected or removed anti-sway bars and soft rear coil springs to shift the weight onto the rear wheels on launch.

Road race usually means the car is lowered to help the center of gravity. firmed up with firmer anti-roll bars to keep the car from rolling .

I went with a Steeda road race setup and I love it.

you don't want soft rear springs on a drag setup. that means you are taking pressure off the rear tires. you use soft front springs to get the front up in the air. the stiff rear springs plants the tires instead of waisting energy on compressing springs.

wannarun said:
you don't want soft rear springs on a drag setup. that means you are taking pressure off the rear tires. you use soft front springs to get the front up in the air. the stiff rear springs plants the tires instead of waisting energy on compressing springs.

ok... I put a set of H&R sport springs which lowered the car 7/8 of an inch. They are much stiffer than stock. With the stock spring the front end would come up pretty good on launch but with the H&R the front doesn't move... I've thought about about putting the stocks back in so the front will come up... But know you make me think I just just put the front stock springs back in... I do have larger tires in the so it might not look to stupid with just the back lowered... hmmmmm....

wannarun said:

Exactly. In fact, FRONT drag shocks will push the front end up forcing weight transfer to the rear... TRUST ME, supercharged? You will need that advantage!

Drag race VS Auto Cross and Canyon Racing require two different setups; BUT...

As a compromise, spend your money on stiffening the chassis for the best compromise. In the PERFORMANCE side of things, sometimes there is a give or take... Get blown? Think WIDE tires (I will get video of a burnout though 4th soon)!

Good stuff here!