Suspension Suspension Overhaul

TheShabz

Aug 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a full suspension overhaul for later this year or early next year. Before I get in and replace, well, everything, I'd like some input on what Ford did right and what Ford did wrong, as I'm not a fan of changing parts for the sake of changing parts. I want to make sure that there is a significant benefit in a change. I know I want to lower the car enough to remove the wheel gap and lower the center of gravity some. I want adjustable shocks/struts (thinking Tokico). I think lowering springs will be enough unless someone can make a convincing case for coil-overs. Outside of that, I'm looking at the works. Shocks, struts, springs, CAs, sway bar... you get the picture.

Some background:
'13 base GT, Brembo/Auto (400A/55D). no mods that will affect suspension work. My goal is to improve the handling of the car as I recently got into hitting the twisty turnies of mountain roads and canyon runs and want to keep up with some of the other cars in our group. I don't have the confidence level I'd like getting into some of those turns.

So what are your thoughts? I don't want to say money isn't an issue but I'm willing to pay more to get it right the first time.

tl;dr turn my GT into a Boss302

• Sponsors (?)

Just got off the phone with Van at Revan Racing. He specializes in the new GT500s, but I think the answers are pretty much the same for your car as well...

Check out his website, particularly his packages. There's a thread going on SVTP discussing improving handling/traction on the GT500s, Van's suggestion (based on what he's running on his 13GT500 car that he open tracks as well as street use), and what I'll be ordering soon for mine:

-BMR Single Adjustable LCA (adjustable seems to be a bigger deal on these than on the SN95 suspension)
-BMR LCA Relocation Brackets
-BMR Adjustable UCA and mount
-BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar and support
-Eibach Pro-Line springs.

Might be worth considering a Griggs Torque Arm instead of the UCA.

Van's a straight shooter, one who runs what he sells, and can prove the benefits. He's got YouTube vids of his car running at multiple road courses; he's a racing instructor, and generally a good guy to work with. Give him a call...

Reactions: 1 user
I upgraded LCAs, UCA, Shocks & Struts, Strut Mounts, Springs, Swaybars, front Swaybar Endlinks, PHB & Brace, and the K-member on my S197. Each upgrade made a difference, and was a worthwhile investment in my opinion. Next step is a complete bushing set for the front arms. I can't wait to install them! (they're sitting right here next to me)

Thanks. I don't know anything useful, I just know useful people. :)

I would go beyond looming at his kits, though, and give him a call. He will take the time to understand the specific application, goals,etc, and recommend the right pieces. For instance, I don't list shocks and struts because I've got the electronically adjustable stuff on my car. I'm also not doing anything on the front for know, as my primary concern is getting my rear end planted. This is one of those times where a phone order is better than an online order.

Thanks Husky. I'll give him a call. Education is the most important part right now. I need to know exactly what I'm getting out of the additions and why I'm putting them on.

One question, is doing your back end first getting your front end out of whack at all? I had always pictured on doing the whole thing in one go, but the backend really is what I want fixed most, outside of a general lowering of the car.

I don't think so. Biggest problem with the 13s is that you can't get them to hook, and they get squirrelly when they do. I know some folks are doing new front control arms, etc, but don't think that's necessary just yet. I will be doing the Eibachs all the way around, which actually is supposed to help with overall handling, roll centers, instant centers, and all that other center high-tech stuff... :)

FWIW, my advice, which isn't near as valuable as Vans, is to make sure you stick with packages designed to work together. For instance, I wouldn't buy one brand of LCAs, another brand of UCAs, and a totally different brand of panhard setup. Some engineer designed all that stuff from that company to work together. Same with springs and struts. Never understood why folks bought brand X springs and brand Y shocks and struts--Brand X made their springs and struts to compliment each other.

You probably already know that, but somebody else might wander in here one day when we're all racing wheel chairs in the old folks home, so I put that for the benefit of all.