Suspension

xpeteyjtx

Dec 29, 2005
Taunton, MA
I am really getting sick of the ride quality of my car. The suspension doesn't really seem to absorb anything in the road... you can see the rear-view mirror and side-mirrors shake. The worst part is when I hit a pothole or even a crack. It doesn't seem to like abrupt changes in the road, but it feels great otherwise. It seems to feel a little better when it is raining, but that could just be my imagination.

I really want to make my car feel better, but I have never done any suspension work. I would really like to do this myself because I dont have money to have a shop do it. So my question is, what should I replace and what should I replace it with? I don't want the car to be lowered at all. Thanks for the help in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

If you still have stock parts, I bet the bushings are shot. All of the rubber has probably deteriorated to oblivian. New rubber for the front a-arms (or just replace with new front a-arms) and then the same for the rear of the car. Sperical rod ends can be used to help with articulation of the rear end but they will transmit more noise.

How are your struts / shocks?

When you drive down the highway does the car bob around alot? Floating at normal highway speeds is a sign of warn out struts. A different and less accurate test is by pushing on the side of the car (downward) if the motion doesn't settle in 2 pulses, the struts / shocks could be bad.

Yeah, I was refering the front lower control arms. There are rubber bushings where they mount to the body. They are probably shot (like mine)