Swap a 95 3.8 with an '03 3.8?

replicated

Apr 17, 2005
I was thinking about putting an '03 v6 with 7000 miles into my 95 mustang which has 47,000. The engine is super cheap and has a base hp of 190hp rather than my 95 with only 145 hp.

Is it possible to do this swap without much difficulty?

• Sponsors (?)

kstang69 said:
if you are gonna go through the hassle of a swap you might as well get the v8...right?

V8 swap = alot more problems and alot of money

He said he could get the v6 cheap so thats a nice HP bonus if you can get it really cheap, plus low miles again which is always nice.

replicated said:
I was thinking about putting an '03 v6 with 7000 miles into my 95 mustang which has 47,000. The engine is super cheap and has a base hp of 190hp rather than my 95 with only 145 hp.

Is it possible to do this swap without much difficulty?
It's possible, but there are many little things you'll discover are a bit different. I belive the fuel system might be one fo them.

Another thingy. If you are gonna get the engine, do some work to it before you drop it in. www.rpm-mustangs.com is in Cali too, and they could supply you with some better heads/intakes/cam. You get those three things and a good tune, you could be looking at almost 200rwhp. :nice:

One more, I don't know about your budget, but if you are gonna pull your engine out, you could get a different k-member and a coil-over suspension. :shrug:

Well, I originally bought the new engine for a cheap upgrade, but it turns out that my old engine has some problem with the rods. So I will have to swap it for sure now.
The mechanic said it might be a wristpin or something. It's kinda weird because it makes a extremely fast knocking noise when you rev the engine. If someone wants the engine still, and is located here in California, you can have it... for a price.

BTW, does anyone know if the old computer will work with the new engine?

You will definetely need a new computer, as you will be switching from a return to retrunless fuel system. You may find that the fuel rail is the hardest thing to figure out, v6power and 3.8 mustang have a couple guys that make them, but they are like $250. I used a windstar rail and a intake spacer for my swap. The 2003 motor will also have the IMRC in the lower intake that you will have to remove and block off. Go over to v6power and check out split port swap and you will get all the info you need. I just finished putting a '99 motor in my '98 vert and it went pretty well. I do have about 70-80 hours labor in it!

Yeah, I have a lot of time involved, but I tried to "detail" everything as I went. I also haven't been under the hood of a car for a while.

Attachments

• post.jpg
    post.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90