Swapper: Steeda Tri-ax shifter on t5 (many large pics)

MrBobMarley

Founding Member
Oct 7, 2002
Ft Myers, FL
Before I swappd my trans I learned a lot from the swapper threads. So here is my contribution to this thing. I went with the triax shifter because I loved the one in my bud's 97 gt. There's plenty of large pics because we all know threads suck w/o pics right? This is only the way I did mine, it's not THE only way to do this so keep that in mind. Each car is different, I know this to be true now. Everyone told me the shifter mount lines up to the original hole, and a 1/4 here and a 1/4 inch there cut off the tunnel was all I needed. Well, I'll let the pics do the talking.

Give her the middle finger to let her know whos boss.
ww7.jpg

This was the scenario from under the car. You can kinda see how much I have to trim off the tunnel.
ww2.jpg

Bust out the sawzall.
ww.jpg

Make sure there is tape covering the shifter hole to keep debris out. The backwards middle finger is my buddy. He says if he turned his hand around the other way, the fbi would scan his fingerprint and find out who he is :shrug: :D
ww3.jpg

These pics show just how much I had to cut off.
ww4.jpg

ww5.jpg

Make sure mating surfaces are clean and squirt some gasket maker on the shifter. Then just bolt it down.
ww66.jpg

Now throw on the handle and a knob of choice. This one is steeda's and the feel and grip is awesome.
steedatriax2.jpg

I think my c4 auto. handle looked kinda cool on there too.
ww9.jpg

This is the finished product minus the boots.
steedatriax.jpg

This is the boot and bezel I bought for it. I think either I keep the boot alone and get rid of the bezel, or I could get my hands on an entire sn95 center console and make it work in there. I'm leaning toward the console idea right now.
triaxboot1.jpg

I'm gonna make another thread later with tranny swap pics. Oh and the shifter is so crisp, makes for some fun driving. :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

This is why I usually suggest moving the engine back 1/2" when doing a 5spd insall....you don't have to cut so much of the tunnel (none at all if you don't want to get the shifter out the top and use an aftermarket crossmember with improper drivetrain angle) and the shifter is a little closer to you.

BTW I don't think the middle finger pictures are really appropriate here, I'm no prude but I just don't think it belongs here....just my $.02

I read that thread about moving the engine back a bit and how many degrees it was off and all that a few days ago. I agree that the the angle should be corrected, but that doesn't mean the car wont run as is. And being that I dont really care much for the current trans or the state of my 289, it's not a major issue to me lol.

The shifter really isn't too far out of reach, and I'm not a big guy @ 6 foot with average length arms. Also, I have no qualms about cutting the stang up so the shifter hole thing wasn't much of a thing to me, it's no boss 429. I thought a little humor would be good but I guess not huh. No biggie, they'll be gone later.

Good stuff, I personally like out tourguide/finger for the project, but whatever. :D

I think you are the first person I've seen who attached the shifter after installation of the tranny in a classic. Most people don't mess with the tunnel, and therefore don't have room to get to the shifter without tranny removal.

I love the steeda shifter also (got one in my 96 GT) and I think the old C4 handle looks cool. I think the adaptation of a late model console isn't going to work out that well. It is an integral part of the center stack on a latemodel, and won't flow or meet up with the classic dash at all. I've done quite a bit of research and comparing of both, and it just doesn't seem to work. You might be able to keep the boot and mount a Bullitt trim ring directly to the floor. That'd look cool.

.......Oh relax :notnice: .....it is a finger WTF, there is far worse........ :shrug: :shrug: . :lol:
he is not even pointing it at anyone....there are far more....
things to be offended by....not that....no offence........
...but you ARE a prude.......in denial I guess...cause
that statement proves it. You prude!..Prude you are....PRUDE.. :rlaugh:
.... good idea about the 1/2 inch save cuttinq though...
you are smart but............a prude. :banana:

Good pics too it sure better to see pics to describe things. :hail2: :nice:

85GTlover said:
.......Oh relax :notnice: .....it is a finger WTF, there is far worse........ :shrug: :shrug: . :lol:
he is not even pointing it at anyone....there are far more....
things to be offended by....not that....no offence........
...but you ARE a prude.......in denial I guess...cause
that statement proves it. You prude!..Prude you are....PRUDE.. :rlaugh:
.... good idea about the 1/2 inch save cuttinq though...
you are smart but............a prude. :banana:

Good pics too it sure better to see pics to describe things. :hail2: :nice:

I'm suffering from ellipsis overdose! :D

Ellipsis:
1)
a.The omission of a word or phrase necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary for understanding.
b. An example of such omission.
2) A mark or series of marks (... or * * *, for example) used in writing or printing to indicate an omission, especially of letters or words.

[Latin ellpsis, from Greek elleipsis, from elleipein, to fall short. See ellipse.]

You can call me a prude if you want but I am anything but. I swear like a sailor at times but......I have never seen vulgar language an what not on this particular board and I kind of like that. It doesn't offend me but there are others that it might, plus people of all ages are interested in Mustangs so I figured this was a family type board instead of some of those other ricer boards inhabited by little foul mouthed dumbasses..............OK, so I sound like a prude.....crucify me!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, the whole thing took 593938.55 times longer than it was supposed to but I'd do it all again if I could.

The tour guide stays then, I may have him resurface in the t5 install thread lol. I'll blur it a bit for the sensitive eyes though. And dude, I don't think you're a prude.... hey that rhymed.

Good call on the bullitt trim ring Blake, my thoughts exactly if my console thing doesn't work. I actually realized the shifter SHOULD have gone onto the trans before bolting it to the engine but there was no way I was pulling that thing down again. Then after a round of cussing, I thought hey, at least it'll be easier to swap shifters now eh? In the end I think it turned out for the best. I cut that hole and installed the shifter all within 15 minutes. Only thing now is I have to fabricate a lower boot to fit my new hole.

One2gamble, my crossmember is a modern driveline unit. It's made for use with the original c4 auto trans mount. I bought a new one anyway.