switching to manual

ONLYFORDS

Aug 3, 2006
I have a 2005 mustang GT I want to swap my automatic transmission out and put a manual transmission in. I was wondering which transmission to go with, and how hard is it to do?
thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Just curious, why did you buy an auto if you wanted a manual? I mean, you're talking about spending all of this time/money now to do a swap b/c you were too eager to get what you wanted to begin with? IMHO, unless you've got a bunch of mods done that'd be hard to undo and transfer to a different car, I would consider a trade. If you go to resell the car at a later time, for whatever reason, a major modification like that would definitely depreciate the value of the car. I mean none of this offensively, just lending my opinion.

If he buys all used parts it won't cost much at all. It's really not a big deal.

I personally changed mine over because the auto wouldn't handle the hp from the boost. I actually like the car much better as a manual.

anthony05gt said:
If he buys all used parts it won't cost much at all. It's really not a big deal.

I personally changed mine over because the auto wouldn't handle the hp from the boost. I actually like the car much better as a manual.

While I see the reason, with the car being so new, I just don't see the point. But I agree with the other guy, if you're gonna do it, go six speed. Or at least something more solid than the stock 5 speed.

The stock 3650 can handle a lot more hp than you think. A guy right here on stangnet is hitting 600rwhp and races it all the time. I know 2 guys that have done the 6 speed swap and they constantly have to stay aware of making the mistake of shifting into reverse after 6th gear. They also have trouble shifting into reverse while sitting still. The shifter handle hits the bezel. My gear ratios are close enough especially between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I have absolutely no reason to want another gear.

DarkFireGT said:
Just curious, why did you buy an auto if you wanted a manual? I mean, you're talking about spending all of this time/money now to do a swap b/c you were too eager to get what you wanted to begin with? IMHO, unless you've got a bunch of mods done that'd be hard to undo and transfer to a different car, I would consider a trade. If you go to resell the car at a later time, for whatever reason, a major modification like that would definitely depreciate the value of the car. I mean none of this offensively, just lending my opinion.

you just read my mind. I just thought about "hey, these are brand new cars... why didn't he order/ look around longer for a manual?"

I pretty much summed up why I switched over, but you guys should understand that some of us are into ripping the cars apart. It's what we like to do. You know, if my car developed a small problem that would be covered under warranty, I'd rather spend my own time and money than let a clip joint dealer touch it. When I did the tranny swap, I had several dealer's top techs tell me not to even think about it and I would be opening up a can of worms that would get out of hand. I say, As long as I have an electrical diagram manual, it can be done. The diagrams don't lie.

I understand why you did yours. But this is his first post. Typically people who just joined just got their car, and therefore don't have alot of mods. It's early enough in the game, at this point, to reconsider the car, before the mods start. Also, I honestly felt like calling him out because I've been on autoboards for years, and 98% of the time, when people ask about doing a mod like that, they're a newb and will never do it, so I was trying to help him think through his decision.

I hear you. Take a look at the swap manual. I'ts pretty thorough and you'll see that you have to know what you're doing or problems will be abundant. If someone is serious about the swap, the manual will guide them through every step. Screw one thing up, you might as well be ready for some serious headaches. If anyone here is serious about doing it, all they have to do is read the manual and become familiar with the steps and have some experience with this type of work. Whether someone is really serious or not remains to be seen. I'm just here to help out with it. I spent a few weeks making the manual to share with others. There are a few guys on other forums who are using it and doing the swap as we discuss it right here.

I understand the need to switch because I thought I could stomach an automatic since finding a used one in a stick and yellow wasn't happening. So 3 months later, I am thinking that will be a mod later down the road. Just got my 4.10's today and I need to have more control...can't drive like I want to.

thanks for the input so far, I was also woundering if there is a shiftkit avalable for the automatic transmision, and can you put a manual valve body in it.
Also, I am not really worried about resale value I plan on keeping this car for a while.

Resale shouldn't matter. You can't tell it's been changed over except for the extra wiring along side of the tranny that's been sealed off. The autos don't use shift kits. Everything is solenoid operated through the pcm. You can step up the shift pressures through a tune.

IMO if you dont like the performance of the AUTO, then get a tune and see the difference for yourself. lidio from alternative auto is one of the top automatic tuners. many happy customers!!

For giggles, I have a complete TKO 600 setup for sale. It is hardly used-about 14 passes down the track, no powershifting. From flywheel to differential yoke. I'm going to a C4. Too much power for a stick!
Promotion Powertrain prepped TKO600-cryoed, polished, blueprinted
New in box-McLeod Twin street clutch/billet flywheel-8 bolt
McLeod external hyd. throwout bearing
Lakewood, SFI bellhousing
Swarr remote shifter
Swarr crossmember
Mark Williams Yokes
Aluminum single pc. driveshaft.