Synthetic oil a "waste" of money?

Blue70 said:
I'll take 8HP for a few dollars more a quart of oil... :nice:
I've seen gains of over 10 HP by changing rearend and trans fluid too. :D

I dare you to find a better dollar per HP ratio!!!

Just think of all the money people spend here on parts that might give them 10 or less HP (Intakes, TB's, LT's, ect)

And it cuts down on friction and wear...How can you lose? :shrug:

this is true and it makes sense.

a lot fo you guys don't realize how much better a quality synthetic like a mobil 1 or even better royal purple are at preventing power robbing and engine destroying bearing scuffing.. when the bearings scuff they actually weld toghther and break apart in a split second but it happens. if the scuffing get bad enough it will weld toghter and no break apart but will spin the bearing and when that bearing spins it's all over.

this is the oil and change interval i recomend.

reg. cars and trucks 3-4k on regular oil
stock high performance . 3k on synth blend min. or full synth recomended.
FI or high rpm high performance. 1.5 (FI high boost) 2k oil changes with royal purple.

yeah the oil changes get expensive.. but it's a lot cheaper than paying me or someother mechanic to fix your car..

there are a lot of people on this board with crackpot theorys about going 20k on oil changes. if you got the money too buy a new engine go try it out.

all engines i have diaged with bearing problems or have replaced. were not getting regular 3k oil changes. never replaced a engine that was maintained

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 01 Bullitt with a vortech. ran motorcraft 5w20 till 8,000 miles changing it every 1,000-1,500 miles. never had any blowby

I switched to mobile 1 5w30 and I had to buy a "steeda" oil separator because I had so much blowby coming from my breather tube when in boost.......

MikeZ28 said:
there are a lot of people on this board with crackpot theorys about going 20k on oil changes. if you got the money too buy a new engine go try it out.

all engines i have diaged with bearing problems or have replaced. were not getting regular 3k oil changes. never replaced a engine that was maintained

It is obvious we disagree on this issue but, was the "crackpot theory" comment necessary?

Yes, 20K is well beyond reason for most people. It is attainable though with the right oil, a bypass oil filter and filter changes. That is not something though that most people are going to be willing to do. It is more than I am willing to go through.

I don't think I ever suggested 20K oil changes either. What I said was that the 3K oil change is not necessary in "every" situation. Yes, there are situations where 3K oil changes are necessary but, there are also situations where 10K or longer oil change interval is possible without any abnormal engine wear. The practice of extended oil change intervals does not simply mean put the oil in and leave it there until the motor seizes. It involves frequent oil analysis to determine how the oil and motor are performing and determining an interval that works for your own specific needs, driving habits and vehicle.

I guess I spoke too soon. Apparently rjstaaf feels insulted by MikeZ28s statement of fact. Oh well, there is one in every group I guess...

I'm sticking with Motorcraft 5W-20. :nice:

I'm not sure what the big deal is but synthetics do have a purpose. I can tell you from experience that when I used conventional oil in my 85 and 92 GT/LX 5.0, the difference was night and day running 306's. With the overbore came added heat which destroyed my conventional oil. I switched to synthetic and the heat was not a factor of the condition of my oil...it stayed very clean throughout it's life...synthetics also resist foaming at high RPM's...

Experience RULES...

1000? Oh you mean post count. Yeah, that is a REAL BIG DEAL... I am on so many discussion boards I stopped caring about that trivial BS long ago. Anyway, you seem to be really keen on interacting with me for some reason. Problem is, I could care less. Why don't you find someone ELSE to mess with. You are boring me and detracting from the purity of the threads here. If only the board was moderated more...

There was a big article on oil in a recient MMFF magazine. I read it, but I can't remember any of it. I'm sure it said something important though. All I know is I decided to switch over to Royal Purple on my next oil change after I read it. I saw on ebay where you can get a case for $68 or about $5.70 a quart shipped. (Jegs charges $8 a quart) If you change it at 5k, that's 10k miles of driving for $68 of the BEST oil you can buy. Worth every penny IMO.
"Quality doesn't cost, it pays"