Synthetic oil every 5k miles

• Sponsors (?)

One of the reasons to use synthetic oil is to be able to go longer between oil changes. There is no reason to change synthetic every 3000mi. Every 5000mi.-7500mi. depending on how hard your driving the car. I do mine at 5000mi. and no problems here...

Actually, the study was done by a Professor of Physics at California State Univerity, L.A.

Even Mobil 1 admits to changing the formula to keep up with the Jones.

Mobil 1 is one of the best oils, I just don't buy into running a lot of miles on any oil.

Besides, Mobil 1 is relatively cheap for the protection you get. Why not change more often.

Didn't think I'd get such hostile responses. Anyways, if you say you don't have problems with 5k changes, I wouldn't expect any. The slightly increased wear factor might take 50k to show a significent change to really notice.

For the guy that goes 5000k-7000k between changes, man that's a ton of miles you put on your car. 5000k = 5,000,000 miles.

Good Luck all.

raykrv6a said:
Didn't think I'd get such hostile responses. Anyways, if you say you don't have problems with 5k changes, I wouldn't expect any. The slightly increased wear factor might take 50k to show a significent change to really notice.

For the guy that goes 5000k-7000k between changes, man that's a ton of miles you put on your car. 5000k = 5,000,000 miles.

Good Luck all.

We're not hostile, it just goes against everything we have heard about synthetics! If 5k oil changes were detrimental to the motor, why would Ford recommend oil changes every 5k on semi-synthetic?

I was serious though....we would all love to read this study, if indeed it says what you say it does....

:flag:

raykrv6a said:

Good Luck all.

Okay, so the real study is summarized here...

http://members.aol.com/lostpup198/oil/mcnart.html

It was done to prove that so-called "motorcycle oil" did not have better viscosity retention than regular automotive oil.

Also noted in the testing was that Mobil 1 held its viscosity so well, it was the only oil they allowed to go past the test limit on miles. And, during the period of time the tests were conducted on the Mobil 1 oil, the average ambient temperature was higher during the operation of the motorcycle which should have put it at a disadvantage, yet it scored the highest overall in viscosity retention. In the article, there were several preliminary conclusions.

1) The viscosity of synthetic-based oils generally drops more slowly than that of petroleum-based oils in the same application.
2) Motorcycles are harder on oil (viscosity retention) than cars.
3) The fastest and most significant drop in the viscosity of petroleum-based oils used in motorcycles occurs during the first 800 miles(or less) of use.

Anyways...this study shows that indeed synthetic can be run longer than equivalent dino oil. Number 1 above also shows that it is not a direct comparison of loss of viscosity....

So 5k between oil changes doesn't seem too bad after all...

:flag:

i noticed they also didnt test redline, amsoil, royal purple, valvoline, etc. what i would love to see is a fully comprehensive study using identical motors each with a different oil, and run them for x number of hours, then do a UOA, then run for more hours, then another UOA, keep going like that until the oils show results that say they have to be changed

raykrv6a said:
Even Mobil 1 loses viscosity. One test I read had Mobil 1 down to 83% viscosity after 1500 miles. I certainly wouldn't go more then 3000-3500 miles between changes.

Ok... lets say viscosity of Mobil 1 was down to 83% are you 100% sure it was synthetic. And if it was. Where did it compare to regular oil! This is how I look at oil changes. Yes synthetics are better on the motor. 5,000 miles is very understandable! Look in your mustang owner manual I dont think mine on my 97 says 3,000 mile si think it said every 4,000 conventional oil. But understand this! No matter what oil you put in your car. It collects dirt. Simple as that. I let my last oil change go to near 10,000 miles and My car has over 100,000 miles... no problems... Getting ready for a built motor so the less money i drop into this thing happier i am!!!