T-45 Vs Tr-3650 Transmission

Greyshot

Jan 6, 2015
Long story short, my 2v broke a chain guide, dropped pieces in the oil pickup (clogging it), lost oil pressure and seized up my engine. I recently bought a Mach 1 parts car with the 32v 4.6 and TR-3650 5 speed to swap into my 2000 Mustang. Not too long ago I did some clutch work on my T-45 with a new Exedy Stage 2 clutch, new Ford clutch fork, and new pivot stud. I also have an MGW short throw shifter that I know isn't interchangeable with the TR-3650 tranny. Now I'm pretty positive both the 2000 4.6 and 03 Mach have an 11in 8 bolt crank flywheel so I would be able to use my 2v 4.6 flywheel and clutch assemble on the new 4v 4.6. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So my question is, is there a notible performance difference in the TR-3650 vs the T-45 that would push me to use the 3650 over my current transmission? Is it beefier, holds more power, better syncros? Anything? I would like some feedback and also advice on which transmission you think would be a better choice to use, knowing my situation. Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

You can use the t45 stuff on the mach engine yes. The power ratings in stock for are very minimal between the two trans. The aftermarket support for the t45 isn't quite as good as the 3650. I prefer the t45 for speed shifting over the clunky 3650. Just my preference.

Long story short, my 2v broke a chain guide, dropped pieces in the oil pickup (clogging it), lost oil pressure and seized up my engine. I recently bought a Mach 1 parts car with the 32v 4.6 and TR-3650 5 speed to swap into my 2000 Mustang. Not too long ago I did some clutch work on my T-45 with a new Exedy Stage 2 clutch, new Ford clutch fork, and new pivot stud. I also have an MGW short throw shifter that I know isn't interchangeable with the TR-3650 tranny. Now I'm pretty positive both the 2000 4.6 and 03 Mach have an 11in 8 bolt crank flywheel so I would be able to use my 2v 4.6 flywheel and clutch assemble on the new 4v 4.6. (Correct me if I'm wrong) So my question is, is there a notible performance difference in the TR-3650 vs the T-45 that would push me to use the 3650 over my current transmission? Is it beefier, holds more power, better syncros? Anything? I would like some feedback and also advice on which transmission you think would be a better choice to use, knowing my situation. Thanks guys!
I agree with squeak93 the TR-3650 has more aftermarket support over the T-45. I would recommend keeping both and using the T-45 as a backup and then having the 3650 gone through and upgraded, Tony at Astro Performance https://www.astroperformance.com/
has a nice setup for those transmissions. We offer clutches for pretty much any power level for both transmissions. Give us a call 714-630-2764 x 223 and I'll be happy to assist you.

You can use the t45 stuff on the mach engine yes. The power ratings in stock for are very minimal between the two trans. The aftermarket support for the t45 isn't quite as good as the 3650. I prefer the t45 for speed shifting over the clunky 3650. Just my preference.
Yea I've heard similar information. Is the 3650 really clunkier than the t45? I though the T-45 was pretty clunky on its own. I think I'll most likely use the t-45 then for now because of all the stuff I have in it and use the 3650 as the spare tranny in case anything happens with the t-45. That is unless I hear any viable reason why I should go with the 3650 from the get go.