T5 rebuild, reccomended upgrades?

BuickNick

Nov 24, 2005
The factory automatic is quickly destroying itself, so it is time to get my T5 ready for the swap...

I scored a T5 from a 95 mustang. My engine is putting out close to 300hp(flywheel), but I want the transmission to handle 300, cause that is where the engine will be soon. I am going to rebuild the T5 before installation, cause it is of unknown condition. Will I be alrite with a standard rebuild kit, or are there any upgrades I need to let it handle the power level? This is a street car only, but i do drive it hard.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Rebuild kits only replace the wear items like blocker rings, snap rings, roller pins and in more complete kits - bearings. They don't address any of the issues that have to do with the actual strenght of the transmission.

If you have a '94, your trans is already rated to 300 ft-lbs of torque. To increase this rating will involve replacing the gearset. How strong you go depends on the wallet. There is the Z-spec gearset, the astro performance gearset and the g-force gearset. I am not sure if any of those kits has an input shaft for SN95 lenght however

BTW, trans are rated in units of Torque, not HP.

that trans should be more than fine to handle your power, so long as you don't launch it on sticky tires every weekend, and powershift it. put a full rebuild kit to it, and you'll be just fine.

if you must upgrade, hanlonmotorsports.com offers the t5z super high alloy gearset for about $450. it includes the cluster shaft, 1st, second, third and the input shaft/4th gear.....+ the $200 rebuild kit price, it's not a bad deal.