T5 Trannies

Twilight Blue

Aug 3, 2005
Is there any difference between the 5.0, SVO, and 2.3LX T5 transmissions? Can I put a T5 intended for a 5.0 car in my 2.3 car? Are SVO and LX T5's the same? Are all three the same? Sorry for the dumb question.

• Sponsors (?)

The 5.0L T5 will not fit behind your 2.3L without some serious work. The 5.0 T5 input shaft is larger in diameter and the internals of the transmission are made for higher HP and torque and also have different gear ratios. From what I can tell, the SVO and regular 2.3L T5s are the same with exception to gear ratios (the SVO's being closer to the 5.0).

Erm, it doesn't take "serious work."

Actually, all it takes is a 5.0 T5 pilot bearing, I BELIEVE you can even keep the 2.3L clutch. However, the crank has to be machined for the pilot bearing, or you can buy a bronze bushing that fits the hole.

5.0 T5's have a larger diameter and very slightly longer input shaft. 4 cyl T5's have a much lower First gear and a different bearing to accommodate it, and different gear ratios, but they are otherwise identical to 5.0 T5's.

I believe either Motion Dynamics or Rapido Group makes a hybrid pilot bearing that is required for this swap. This is because the 5.0 T5 has a larger input shaft diameter then the 2.3 version. Also, yes you can use the stock 2.3 clutch set up with this swap.

If you want to use the whole 5.0 setup to take advantage of the bigger clutch then just buy the adapter plate, which is available through Stinger Performance among others and the custom flywheel thats available from SPEC clutches. Then you'll be able to use any 5.0 clutch assembly and the 5.0 bellhousing too.

DJ

I don't consider the V8 T5 as an upgrade at all, its just an option. It has a higher first gear so you can run a little lower rear gear.

Strength doesn't come into to play at all if you can drive. My car makes over 400rwhp and the trans has 320k miles and works great. The only reason I'm considering a V8 trans is for the higher first gear.