T5 trans shifter WONT move into 2nd gear ( V6 but related)

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
This SUCKS! Yes, I know this is 5.0 forums but most of the knowledgeable tranny people lurk in here ... soooo..

Since this a T5 , this is relevant. As some of you may or may not know, my tranny on my 96 3.8 has been taking a crap.. very slowly. Relentlessly popping out of 1st gear, grinding bad in 2nd, so I only used it while coasting into a turn on a side street. Last time a few days ago, I went into a turn and tripple tapped the tranny shifter into 2nd ( 3 times to make sure it would lock in without popping out). I've done this with 1st gear and 2nd gear a hundred times. This last time I had my hand holding it in gear and it forcefully popped out of gear. since I was holding it, it grinded, But it went into gear anyway. Went into the store quickly. Then came back. Then I noticed the shifter would not move into 2nd gear position. I have tried since 3 days ago, Hell.. I beat on that thing,, It goes in every gear but 2nd. It wont even move all the way, just about 1/4 the way. It's like it's hitting something.. almost like a gear was not meant to be there.. thats what it hits.. :bs:

• Sponsors (?)

Your syncro gears were shot some time ago. Driving it any further will only do more damage and cost more to repair. If you take it out yourself, I would think it would cost 600-800 depending on what else is wrong with it. Usually a few guys on craigslist that can do the repairs.

I know the synchros were shot in 2nd gear already. Been that way for a couple months. I could sit there idling at a stand still, push the clutch in and if I tapped 2nd gear, it would grind no matter what. So I avoided using that gear as much as I had to. Always 1st to 3rd but 2nd on coasting into turns. But something busted up in there this time and I was just looking for an idea what it might be. Reverse works fine...

If it were a shift fork, wouldn't it be impossible to get it into all gears? It almost feels like a solid piece of metal is blocking the shifter from moving that way.