T5Z Input Bearing

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
Okay guys, finishing up my 5 lug disc conversion. I've decided while its in the air, I might as well try to tackle the whine I get in 1st through 3rd gears. Trans shifts fine and no grinds, so I want to try just replacing the input bearings and not a whole rebuild. The reason: I want to upgrade trans in the next year or so and don't want to put $500-$600 bucks in this one, plus I don't think it really needs a full rebuild.

I've done a LOT of internet searching and feel fairly confident that I can simply pull the input shaft by only removing the bearing retainer. I will have a shop remove and replace the old bearing that is on the shaft. The pic I posted below is not my picture, but I believe it is representative of the other input bearing that is on the main shaft. Is is not loose roller bearings, but rather the "Cobra tapered bearing". After talking with a few T5 rebuild companies, it is my belief that this tapered bearing is the culprit.

My question is this: Can I replace this Cobra bearing without pulling the entire mainshaft from the trans? If I have to take the entire trans apart, then I might as well do a rebuild while I'm in there. I am hoping to be able to replace all these parts by simply pulling the bearing retainer and then the input shaft. Am I off base here? Can it be done in this manner?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Input Shaft.jpg
    Input Shaft.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 404
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, Stangnet has been lacking in the being helpful department lately...

From seeing Hanlon's video, looks like it's pretty easy to do it. Look for the cutout that allows the input shaft to come out of the cluster. When you align it properly, it just slides right off. Looks like that bearing comes off by being pressed off.
Here's a pic from Hanlon's video:
View attachment 152386

Hey man, thanks for the reply. The only thing I'm worried about is that the Z-spec uses a caged bearing that is pressed onto the output shaft, which you see is still in the trans in the pic you posted. I went to Ford today in an attempt to locate the bearings. The tapered bearing that is special to Cobra T5's and z-specs in no longer carried by Ford. The dealer in the next town over had one left in stock....for $64!!! Anyways, going to pull trans in next week or so, I will try to post some pics of the bearings if they are in fact shot.

Thanks again man!

Joe