T5Z Opinions & Experience

It is a full-manual vb. Very cool to drive.

What I was originally planning to do was just get a cheap T5 (junkyard type) so I could put it altogether and then eventually go to a Tremec when I found one or did more research. This one thrown in the middle has me thrown some, that's why I wasn't sure.

I'm still not. :(

• Sponsors (?)

I have a fairly new t-5 z, about 2000k. seems to be holding up pretty well, with 368 rwhp and slicks, but my car is pretty light also, I tosted a wc t-5. I dont know for sure, but I may end up going with the 500 or 600, just in case.

89GX - just so you're aware, there are gear ratio differences between the stock T5's and the T5-Z's.

T5 - 3.35, 1.94, 1.29, 1.00, .675
T5-Z - 2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00, .625

Note the 5th gear ratio - noticeably more overdriven. Depending on how you use your car, and the engine's low rpm torque producing capabilities, that gives some folks problems.

There's been a T5-Z in mine since 2000, about 18K miles. No problems at all. Purchased new from Ford Racing.

The $1K used price tag seems high to me too.

I had switched from an automatic in my car and put in a 3550. I did not like the way it shifted and the fact that it was noisy. I also did not like the fact that it was around 40 lbs. heavier than a T-5. I ended up taking it out and switching for a T-5 with Z spec gears. I am very glad I did it and have no regrets about switching to the T-5. It drives much nicer, shifts smoother and doesn't make noise. Also my car is lighter now. :D

A couple of friends of mine have had the Z's and all have had very good luck with them. One of them was an 11.80 N/A 302 than has seen more than 150 passes at the track with slicks and still no issues. :nice:

If I had my choice between a T-5 Z and a 3550, it would be the T-5 Z every time.

Thanks for the extra input.

Michael, I was aware of the 1st gear difference, but not the others. I don't think it will affect me too much, except probably to help (4.30's), but I appreciate the input.

I think maybe I'll keep looking and see if I can find either a cheaper T5 or a Tremec instead. It does seem high compared to a new one. Really all I need is the tranny itself and a shifter, I have everything else -- which means I could be into it $1300 new. Maybe I'll talk about it some more with the seller and see what we can do -- maybe I can get it cheap enough that even *I* can't refuse. He's a good guy, so this might end up working for me. :D

BTW, I never minded the Tremecs. I actually thought they felt more "solid" than the T5s I had even though it was noisier and notchier. But if I can get either one to last I certainly won't complain about it. :nice: