Tailgaters should be shot; missed 4th went into 2nd.

Rerun

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
South Bay, California
So I'm about to make a left, and this guy is eyeballing me looking into my rearview mirror. Light turns green and he's tailgating me really badly and I really, hate that. So, I drop into second and I'm on it pretty good, get up to about 3500 RPM's and shift into 3rd and this guy is still on my ****ing ass. So, I get on it a little more and around 3000-3500 RPM's in 3rd, I go to drop it into 4th and miss and drop it into second. I look in the rearview to make sure he wasn't going to rearend me and noticed a little bit of white smoke.

I got home, checked the OIL everything looks good no weird particles or white stuff in it. Car temps were normal the rest of the way home, no iradic idles or anything.

Now my question is, what are the potential damages of missing a gear, I didn't let the clutch out easy so it got pretty up there in the RPM's, I didn't really get to see how high as I was concentrating on if he was going to rearend me or not. If I had anywhere else to go I would've just got in another lane and let the guy over.

Thanks in advance,
J.

• Sponsors (?)

In extream cases you can bend valves, depends on your motor set up.. I have seen belts kick off and things like that. If it still runs right, you probably did nothing... I dont think you have anything to worrie about. If you were driving an M3 you would have towed it straight to a shop... :D

On the T-5 i just rebuilt, previous owner did the same thing. Except he missed the POWERSHIFT from 3rd to 4th and hit 2nd.

After that second would always grind. He tore up the dog teeth on 2nd gear and the 1-2 synchro pretty good.

that stinks... have you ever seen that video online of this guy driving an integra and he goes to powershift from 3rd to 4th and he hits 2nd and spins his car out and wrecks...? hahaha it's tha funniest thing

cjman15 said:
that stinks... have you ever seen that video online of this guy driving an integra and he goes to powershift from 3rd to 4th and he hits 2nd and spins his car out and wrecks...? hahaha it's tha funniest thing

haha. I've seen that i think, the black integra, black wheels, guy is asain of some sort? Funny..

i hate tailgaters! i usually just slow down and piss them off more. except one time i was just fed up, so i dropped her down and took off. next thing i know, there's light coming my way. i ended losing my license for 2 weeks because i was going 34 mph over the speed limit. that was 3 years ago though, so atleast that's off my record now. live and learn. next time just slow to a creap and beleive me, i've done that before. 5 or 10 mph in a 40 really pisses them off!

last azzhole tailgater i had bought ate my rearend... I was going about 10 over and he is on my rear bad. just about close enought i couldn't see his headlights. so as i am cruising in 4th i push the clutch in as i come to a light thats about to turn red, he thinks i am going to gun it but instead i slipped it into second and dumped the clutch. got the rear tires to break loose and he about ate it.. gotta love 5 spds!! then when the light turned green i sat roasting my tires just to fill his car full of smoke and his front full of rubber

I usually go as slow as I can go to piss them off even more. The only other thing that pisses me off more are those that honk their horn after the light has been green for a 1/2 second. Easy fix for that too, just sit there and when it turns yellow, floor it - revenge is sweet sometimes, expecially when you can walk away being the calm one and the other person fretting over it.

axeman said:
i hate tailgaters! i usually just slow down and piss them off more. except one time i was just fed up, so i dropped her down and took off. next thing i know, there's light coming my way. i ended losing my license for 2 weeks because i was going 34 mph over the speed limit. that was 3 years ago though, so atleast that's off my record now. live and learn. next time just slow to a creap and beleive me, i've done that before. 5 or 10 mph in a 40 really pisses them off!

Thats what I do lol. Tailgater, slow down. I stab my brakes, and make it semi-unpredictable, but not to the point of accidents (unless their stupid). What I also like to do is approaching a stoplight is slow down REEEALLL SLOW, make my right turn just as the light turns and make them idiots have to wait. lol :rolleyes:

Icepick said:
I dont know how you managed to hit second instead of straight down into fourth but good luck with not having any damage.

I don't know how to miss a gear either.......BUT..!

My Freind just did that same thing in his built H22 Honda motor Racing a Vette and totaly tore up his engine. Clutch and Flywheel shot. Car still Starts but can't engage. Tranny has to be toast. We will be putting a new clutch and fywheel in and checking a few things then starting it up and try to drive it and see what else it damaged.

But granted he was at 8,500 RPMs shifting from 3rd to 2nd. You case is not that extreme so I would not worry too much. You can just grind the gears a little. I would change the Transmission Fluid and see it any metal comes out. Other than that in the RPMs you were in on a Ford Motor Should not do anything...You probebly didn't hit higher than 5500 when you engaged from 3500 to 2nd. I've taken mine up to 6500.