Targa band removal

Has anyone removed the targa band on a t-top car? If so what is underneath it. Does it show the rivits from the roof reinforcement inside or any holes that hold on the targa band? Would it require any filling or welding to fix it?

I hate the way it looks and I want to put in the popout windows and louvers on it.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, I was about to replace the Targa band on mine. Glad I saw this before I ripped it all apart. I saw this mentioned before; I bumped the thread for you (Sorry, moderators, if I committed a sin.)

Some people have taken their Targa bands off completely and just painted the tops black; my understanding is that it's just a fiberglass band beneath. I remember seeing someone's II who'd done this.

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller?

yup, holes all along the roof in 2 rows. you need a trim tool to remove the 2 pieces of trim. you could use a flat screw driver but you need to be very careful.

there are plastic push clips that hold the trim down, which in turn holds the targa band. there really isn't any re-enforcing along the outside of the roof. there is a small piece of re-enforceing that covers the front of the quarter window. its really there to hold the targa band on to the car than a re-einforcing of the roof.

the band itself is a vinyl applyed over a fiberglass strip. they are very thin and very brittle.

i am with sleeper, i think the t-tops cars look better with the band on.

I converted the Thundersnake from Targa to non targa. My car had been repainted with the targa off, so I had nice paint under it. Not sure on a factory car. There will be a bunch of rivets. I just took mine out and clear siliconed the holes. You can barely tell and I'm not building a show car anyway. You have remove the support plates on the B pillar. Also, since the support plates are there, the window trim on the top of the quarter window is cut short to clear it, so you'll need to get non-targa trim. You'll also need the trim strip that covers the B pillar, with the body color stripe inside it. And the only other thing you'll see, is that the t-top trim on the roof, has black tape on the back of it where the targa sat, and it's a pain to remove. You'll also want to get non-tagra B pillar INTERIOR trim pieces, because the factory ones are really fat to cover the support plate. That's about all I can recall right now. Hope this helps.

Anyone ever put a band back ON their car? I have come into possession of a few yards of cobraskin-print vinyl that would make a mighty nifty Targa band -- and I have exactly enough to afford one screw-up.