Tell me if you've heard this one...

05retro

Mar 31, 2005
I read a few days ago (before the server crash) that some people with 05's were experiencing a metallic shaking from the underbody and that two bolts were missing from something (I can't remember what they said it was). I would like to hear from the people that had this problem because I am experiencing the same thing. We had one of our first nice days here in PA and got to drive with the windows down when I heard it. Please let me know what the problem is so I can get Ford service to fix it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

yes it's two 10mm bolts on the 5 speed

two bolts are missing on the 5 speed inspection plate. got to homedepot & get the 10mm 1.5 X 16mm UPC 3069939808 from crown bolt inc.

the rattle will be there when it's cold then goes away when warmed up. It was bothersome to me so I got the bolts and put them in. I can still here the plate rattle every so little when it's really cold out. The inspection plate has a very large gap and the bolt hole are far apart so you will still get some vibration noise but its verry little.

Madhouse said:
Not a heat shield, a transmission inspection plate.

When I was doing my x-pipe a few nights ago I checked and sure enough, mine are missing. But I don't have any rattling, so I'm not going to worry about it.

:D

mine didn't rattle either but I thought my 1st gear was a little loud,so I put the 2 bolts in and it cleared up the trans noise.Put the 2 missing bolts in and you will see a definite improvement

Just happened to me...

I just had this rattle show up this morning. Pushing in the clutch made it go away and after a few minutes driving it went away. I'll be getting this fixed pronto! Thanks for the info.

Doesn't this seem like a recall issue to anyone else? A friend of mine said he knew a guy who had his transmission go out in the first week of owning the car...may have just been a bad tranny but still, a bit coincedental I think.

Grey1 said:
I just had this rattle show up this morning. Pushing in the clutch made it go away and after a few minutes driving it went away. I'll be getting this fixed pronto! Thanks for the info.

Doesn't this seem like a recall issue to anyone else? A friend of mine said he knew a guy who had his transmission go out in the first week of owning the car...may have just been a bad tranny but still, a bit coincedental I think.
It really sounds like ford should be paying a rebate to all the 05 buyers because they are the ones who have to complete the assembly of the car.

Good one, topless, but don't hold your breath! I had the same vibration problem, left my GT 5-speed at the dealer when I went to Florida for a week's vacation. I found a post about it while in Florida, called the dealer the next morning (service hadn't found the problem) and, get this, the dealer installed the two missing bolts on the separator plate and no more annoying, embarrassing rattle! So common now that the dealers should be aware of it. Good luck.

This is actually my first post on Stangnet and I joined because of how helpful this tech section is, I just checked out my 05 GT's tanny inspection plate and found that I too was missing the bottom two bolts, I had been having a rattling noise from near there and apparently this was the root of my problems...thanks :nice:

65and05 said:
This is actually my first post on Stangnet and I joined because of how helpful this tech section is, I just checked out my 05 GT's tanny inspection plate and found that I too was missing the bottom two bolts, I had been having a rattling noise from near there and apparently this was the root of my problems...thanks :nice:

Welcome to Stangnet :nice:

Yes, welcome! And not to disappoint, but you may find a couple of more known problems: if you have the Shaker 500, press and hold the "3" and "6" on your fm pre-programs and it will do a self-test. Ignore everything but the last display: if the number ends with "a", take it to the dealer to have him order you a new one... known probs with that series, but fully corrected if you have the B series, same test but last display number ends with "b." If yours is B, you're golden! Again, welcome, and good luck!

Official information on bolt issue

The dealer should know about the problems, or at least you can point them in the right direction off the bat. Here is an older posting:

"Ford has just issued a special service message for some manual trans GT Mustangs. SSM (special service message) 18453 includes any GT Mustangs with manual trans built BEFORE 2/1/05. The buzz/rattle coming from bellhousing area due to missing bolts allowing the separator shield between the engine and the trans to vibrate. The fix is to install two bolts into the open holes. Hope this helps.
http://www.mustangforums.com/upfiles/12976/B2CE9939CCF94D71A3AF229661F63952.jpg
AND
http://www.mustangforums.com/m_413461/tm.htm"