Temp. gauge bouncing up and down

BJBethel

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2000
Dayton, Ohio
Something strange started happening tonight in my 95 GT. I warmed the car up (Below 30 up here) and got in and the temp gauge was all the way to H. Started driving and it went down. then it started bouncing around a bit with the air (I had the heater on) blowing hot, then cold, then hot then cold. Any suggestions? I'm thinking thermostat.

Another problem, which I don't think is related. My car, with 193,000, has been surging a bit when I'm driving it. I"m going along fine then it started to bog a bit. It does it real bad when it's cold and hasn't been warmed up. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

You can burp the system. While the coolant is cool, remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Allow the car to warm up and you should see bubbles and hear the system burping. If that's your problem you can expect to have a little overflow while it burps, don't worry as this is normal. Just get a couple of rags and put it around the radiator neck.

It can also help if you gently squeeze the upper radiator hose to help facilitate the release of air.

When everything is good to go you should be able to see the coolant running through the radiator and have no more bubbles coming out.

If you're interested in changing/flushing your coolant you can, especially if its a bit aged, but it certainly isn't necessary.

Maybe a bigger question for me is that if it's air in the system, how did it get there? Did you do something recently, change hoses, etc?