Terminator swap into 88gt

KCoppola

Apr 5, 2005
atlanta
Just wondering if any of you have swapped the engine trans etc from an 03/04 cobra into a fox body? How tough is it, what exactly is involved, and is it more expensive than say, building a 331 and supercharging it? Personal experience would be helpful! thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

ok from what i see so far this is waaaaaaaaaaaaay not worth it! do it yourself for upwards of 15000? no thanks! I'll re build my motor and slap in a supercharger! good god i had no idea it would be that expensive!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and there is a guy with a 03/04 cobra with a turbo stroker dart block 408 laughing his ass off because because he did all that and has a couple grand left over to bet he'll smoke your terminator fox because he sold you his stock stuff.

Is it cool? Yes
Is it cost effective? No
Is it more capable for power? No

Yeah, and there is a guy with a 03/04 cobra with a turbo stroker dart block 408 laughing his ass off because because he did all that and has a couple grand left over to bet he'll smoke your terminator fox because he sold you his stock stuff.

Is it cool? Yes
Is it cost effective? No
Is it more capable for power? No

im going to have to dis-agree with that third one man, those kewb motors respond really well to mods. so much as a chip, pulley, and a good programmer can net you almost 100 extra hp:shrug:

In this months issue of 5.0 magazine they have a feature on an 85 with the terminator swap. These guys actually cut the entire firewall out of the cobra and swapped it into the 85. They also transerred the entire interior into the 85.
Cost effective-NO!!!
Cool as Hell-YES!!!

But I built a 438ci small block with a dart block, dart heads, completely forged internals, solid roller cam, a built c-4, and made 776hp at the wheels of my 93GT and did it all for under $8500. You can't touch a cobra motor, tranny and wiring harnesses for that.

You could supercharge a pushrod motor to make your combo more streetable and still be money ahead.

But I built a 438ci small block with a dart block, dart heads, completely forged internals, solid roller cam, a built c-4, and made 776hp at the wheels of my 93GT and did it all for under $8500. You can't touch a cobra motor, tranny and wiring harnesses for that.

You could supercharge a pushrod motor to make your combo more streetable and still be money ahead.

That is my point.

Not to mention you could make plenty more power with that combo... and I mean plenty of power as in "4.6 block shattered into a million pieces long before it hits that level" kind of power.

Agreed, but the 03 cobra swap still gets 25mpg, and could drive cross country without problem.

....plus that badass blower whine. :hail2:

WELL, help me here then guys..... i got all these mods in my sig...no idea of rwhp. I want a streetable high 11 sec car without nitrous. i wanna re use as much of my current mods as possible, but i feel like the motor at least needs to be freshened up. I wanna go supercharger eventually, but i'm not rich. it'll be at least 9 mos or so before i can even almost buy a S/C. It'll prolly start with rebuilding the motor with the intent of s/cing it, but i want the car to run strong before it gets boosted in case it takes longer than i anticipate. also i gotta ask the usual annoying question..... what do y'all think my rwhp is in its current state? I'm no mechanic but having owned 3 modded stangs i'd guess my car makes high 200's to low 300's rwhp? Having drag raced plenty (but it's been several years) i'd guess it prolly runs low 13's high 12's. Yes i would describe myself as at least a decent if not pretty damn good driver! as far as the supercharger goes, when i get it, i dont want it to be a quiet one!

As far as hp goes, your guess is as good as mine. I used to have a stock 5.0 with a cobra upper and lower intake, 65mm TB, 24# injectors, 73mm MAF, Mac Equal length headers, o/r x-pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters. With 3.55 gears and the stock t-5 I was running 13.20's consistantly.
You've definitely got better heads which I would think would probably get you in the high 12's. Oh, I also had an F cam where as you've got the E.

Well, you can't go too high on the compression if you intend to s/c later. Do you have to pass emissions where you live? If not, here's what I'd do...

Maybe get a little more cam, get the heads ported and if you think you need it freshen up the bottom end. If everything else is in check, you could add a good NOS kit for $4-500 until you get the money to get a s/c. With the NOS you may decide to stick with that instead of buying a s/c.

You may not want to take my advice anyway. Hell, I just had all MM bushings put in my 03 cobra, subframe connectors, SLP line lock, MGW shifter (which is all fine) but then I put 4.30 gears in it... What was I thinking??? Now 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are pretty much useless. Almost like driving on ice.

The Terminator bottom end was engineered to go well past 600rwhp..where do you think these stock block TT cobras are coming from? making 700 rwhp on a stock engine from throttle body to oil pan..try to get a pushrod motor to do that, be streetable and hold together...my point here is sell your car and buy an 03/04 Cobra

I love my 03 cobra but if it ever comes down to selling the 93GT or selling my 03 cobra, the cobra will have to go. The 93 reminds me of what it was like to be in high school, single, without a wife, kids, or bills to pay. The 03 cobra came along after the "good ole days" were just an image in the rear view mirror. don't get me wrong, the 03 is a much better riding, driving and performing car. I guess its just the sentimental reasons that make me like the 93 that much more.