Testing out wingless...

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
So I took my wing off today to inspect the paint underneath it in case I decide to go wingless or move the wing back. To my surprise, after wiping off all of the dirt and dust that has accumulated underneath, the difference in the paint under the wing and the open surface of the trunk is unnoticeable, even after 10 years. After taking it off I've decided I really want to go wingless. I'm probably going to go the temporary route (touch up paint on the top of fasteners to cover up the holes). My only problem is that there are sort of scuff marks where the edge of the spoiler touches the trunk lid. Some of these seems like they could have actually scratched the paint but I'm not completely sure. Does anyone who has removed their spoiler have a good method of trying to get these marks off so I can tell whats a scratch and what is just a scuff on top of the paint. Also I took some pictures so tell me what y'alls opinions are on the wingless...

p.s. I got my Mach 1 chin spoiler in today so I'm letting it sit in the sun for now and then overnight. Hopefully I'll have it on by the end of the week.

Wingless2.jpg

Wingless1.jpg

Wingless3.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I personally believe that the car is too stock looking to pull off the wingless look. No offense at all, but it almost looks like a V6 in it's current state, especially since the 99/00 didn't have the hood scoop and bigger sidescoops. With some nice wheels, the Mach lip you have, and a Mach grille delete, the car would look great wingless. :nice: Just my .02.

Yeah, thats definitely my opinion also. I'm actually really wanting to get a GT hood scoop but they're all $200. And hopefully by the end of the year I'll have all my suspension components and the car will be lowered. I just figure I could go ahead and go wingless right now so that theres no more, although probably negligible, paint fade or anything.

[Which btw (kinda hacking my own thread), would anyone trust the "car parts wholesale" on eBay for a hood scoop. They're only 65 bucks from there ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...ccessories?hash=item35a46983c8#ht_2323wt_1165 ).]

That looks like a used hood scoop, and since they stopped putting Rio Red on cars after 1999 (switched to the Cobra R Performance Red) it will not match and you will need it repainted...I would simply put that to something else on the car, like springs/shocks/gears/exhaust/shifter.

Did you plug the holes?

I am really thinking about doing it to my '99 but want the holes plugged so it doesn't look riced out or like a POS.

Just make sure you secure the chin spoiler good with machanical fastners(etc. nut & bolt) they gave me three? Three. push fastners to put it on with? Had to get 3/4" allen socket cap screws an rubber coated washers & nuts an drill each hole!! ? an make sure lined up an even? was always those hidden additional things that make it difficult? An just take buffer an buff spots under where you took your wing off an might beable to cleanup?

+1 superstang46 on staggered look have been waiting on my 10.5 rims to be shipped to me? a week an waiting? com'on man!

being that we have pretty much the same car, i am extremely tempted to doing it to mine now. i just need to wait till i get home and get my car back! i think it looks good, but will look even better with a chin spoiler, hood scoop and a drop! oh and, our red looks :drool: with tint

RedDaemon:
(If you didn't photoshop it) Where did you get your hoodscoop? (I'm assuming you started with a 99) I understand no matter where I get one I'll have to have it repainted, but most mustang places sell it for close to $200 and that seems a bit ridiculous. I'd like to find one that is less than $100.

RedDaemon:
(If you didn't photoshop it) Where did you get your hoodscoop? (I'm assuming you started with a 99) I understand no matter where I get one I'll have to have it repainted, but most mustang places sell it for close to $200 and that seems a bit ridiculous. I'd like to find one that is less than $100.

the hood scoop is not photoshopped :lol:

it actually came on the car when i bought it. sadly, i am not the original owner. You should be lucky because back in the day when these things were 'new', those scoops cost about 700!

try searching in a junkyard for one would be my suggestion