Texas inspections?

04sleeper

Founding Member
Jun 22, 2002
Dallas, TX
Just moved to Texas from Florida and don't know anything about inspections here. What do they check for? We used to have emissions in FL so I know that part of it but anything else I should look out for? Also, I do not want to drill holes in my front bumper to put a plate on. Any alternatives?
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

they drive cars down there? I thought their horses went through emissions! man that would trip the horse out having someone's hand go up their rectum to check emissions!

(note for all you texans here: that was an honest joke so please dont take offense!) LOL

Not sure what other states emission testing is like, but it is a pretty standard emission test I assume. They just hook your car up to a computer and run it for about 5 minutes. Most places don't even take it for a test drive. It also depends on what part of the state you live in. Not all counties in Texas have emission testing, just a standard safty check. I live in Houston, and have an '89 mustang and had no problem with the emission test.

By the way,

Welcome to Texas

I know that in central Texas there are NO emissions testing. Inspections are half assed visual checks, and never have I once had my car hooked up to a machine, no sensors stuck in the tailpipe, nothing.

Sometimes the guy will hold his hand over the tailpipe, but other than that, no machines, no CO2, O2 levels, no emissions, just make sure that your master cylinder has fluid, your high beams come on, and that your wipers work.

Now Houston, and Dallas, I have heard that they have emmisions testing, but I am not sure.

what part of texas are you in??? Im just north of Dallas, and depending on the tech you take it too, you will either pass or fail the visual if any emission stuff has been tampered with... I had to find someone to hook it up since i no longer have my smog pump...

Regarding the front plate, you don't need to drill holes in the bumper to install the stock plate bracket since it also attaches with two bolts below the bumper. My top two bolts don't hold well any longer since my plate got pulled out by someone that bumped my car. You could just use some felt on the top two spots to keep from rubbing the bumper. Many people run without the plates, but expect a ticket if you get stopped for anything.

Welcome to Texas!

trbkrb said:
Regarding the front plate, you don't need to drill holes in the bumper to install the stock plate bracket since it also attaches with two bolts below the bumper. My top two bolts don't hold well any longer since my plate got pulled out by someone that bumped my car. You could just use some felt on the top two spots to keep from rubbing the bumper. Many people run without the plates, but expect a ticket if you get stopped for anything.

Welcome to Texas!
Thanks man! :D I will give it a try.