TFS Stage 1 Camshaft Help!!

91StangLX

Mar 26, 2004
I have been doing research on the web and it seems this TFS stage 1 cam lacks bottom end and really comes on hard at about 2500-2800 RPM. I have been on other forums and this seems to be the consensus. Now I have also found out that with the TFS heads it is a different story... Good bottom end and great mid range, but falls off on the upper rpm... Anyone else experience simular problems with this camshaft.

My car lacks the bottom end but really screams once it hits about 2500 RPMs and pulls strong all the way to about 6200 RPM

• Sponsors (?)

Someone i know had TFS intake, stage 1 cam, and street heads. His car, from what he told me, had really good torque down low and screamed on the top end. So I don't think you'll have a problem with lacking top end. A lot of people run these heads, so I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer.

On a side note, I'm going to be using the same cam you have. I never saw the kid's car I'm talking about, how's the idle with it? Any loss in driveability?

Chris6050 said:
Someone i know had TFS intake, stage 1 cam, and street heads. His car, from what he told me, had really good torque down low and screamed on the top end. So I don't think you'll have a problem with lacking top end. A lot of people run these heads, so I'm sure someone will be able to give you a better answer.

On a side note, I'm going to be using the same cam you have. I never saw the kid's car I'm talking about, how's the idle with it? Any loss in driveability?
Idle seems a bit ruff but it is very streetable. I am using the TFS Cam with GT40P heads and Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifold. Bottom end very sluggish, but hit 2500-2700 rpm you better hold onto to your A@#(Backside) because it will be gone.

You can gain some of the loss thru cam phasing. Assuming all the othere stuff is correct... F/P, ign timing, gears...blah..blah !! There are a lot of TFS1 cams out there, and almost ANY performance cam will take a little bottom end away... thus the gears..cool?? But if you set the intake center line in closer to TDC you WILL regain some of that loss low end and wont notice any top end loss!! I have installed quite a few in at 106 ICL ( yep... thats 6* advanced!!) and the cars rip!! TFS1 ICL is cut on a 112* cool?? just a thought.... It works!

Just me...........................

Thumper

thumper460 said:
You can gain some of the loss thru cam phasing. Assuming all the othere stuff is correct... F/P, ign timing, gears...blah..blah !! There are a lot of TFS1 cams out there, and almost ANY performance cam will take a little bottom end away... thus the gears..cool?? But if you set the intake center line in closer to TDC you WILL regain some of that loss low end and wont notice any top end loss!! I have installed quite a few in at 106 ICL ( yep... thats 6* advanced!!) and the cars rip!! TFS1 ICL is cut on a 112* cool?? just a thought.... It works!

Just me...........................

Thumper
Great I will try that... 6 degrees you say...

I have that cam with ported stock heads , explorer intake, 65tb 77 MAF and full exhaust on the 347.

The bigger motor has plenty of torque down low. Cam installed straight up with 1.7rrs. I also have the 3.55 gears.

I am sure I am losing some power through the stock ported heads, but it still gets it on for sure.

thumper, are you saying advancing a cam's degree will bring back the low end lost power? I was always told retarding a cam would wake up the low end at the expense of the top end by a corresponding amount. Am I wrong? I pretty much had the same question on my combo.....a 96 explorer GT40 (not the P) headed engine going into my 86 GT convertible with TKO and 3.27 gears. I'm going carbed with a 600 holley and weiand stealth intake, and a TFS stage one cam, and the heads cut .030. I want low to mid power, and was wondering if I would be better off installing it straight up or retarding it a bit, but from what you said...., maybe advancing it? Which way do I need to go? The car will practically never go over 5500rpm, so I dont mind if the power band stops around there. Thanks!

Doug

Advance.......

ADVANCE the cam.....The sooner the intake valve closes the sooner the engine can build pressure ( compression) and that is the low end that was lost when installing a performance camshaft...Cool??

I think you just got crossed up!! The Stealth is a killer intake!! your going to love the new induction!! and that TFS1 cam will rock!! Just install it ADVANCED !!

Just me......................

Thumper

Max... The closer to TDC the more low end ( to a point... but for discussion..) using the 4* 3 position timing chain assy, your stuck on 4* or what ever the chain assy offers.. the 9 position assy ( mine, FMS , and others ) offer 2-4-6-8* . Cool?? the cam is cut on the 112 c/l , right?? Closer to TDC means.. less than 112*. Heavy car, high gears ( 3.27), not reving over 5K.... I would install at 106* ( 6 advanced) I HAVE installed at 104 for some AOD lowstall cars... that worked also, depending on the driver and what power range he wants out of the car and cam!! and remember... if the cam doesnt suit the needs of the car, this is just a way of making the cam work better in your aplication!! you always can buy a cam with a lower intake center line , less duration and LSA... see?? This is just a way of having a cam and "tuning" it to your application!! If you want that cam.. and the lopy idle, sometimes you just need to move things areound and Modify, to Rock!! cool?? you'll NEVER know untill you try it!! ( I will usually degree and advance the cams in the engines I build for customers...and others with basic same combos, cant figure out where all the extra power comes from... lol!! cool??)

have fun..................

Just me.................................

Thumper

thumper....my timing gear is a comp cams double roller unit with 4 keyways on the crank sprocket. I put it on 4+. I assume 4+ is advanced and the 4- is retarded. i dont have a degree kit and on my engine budget doubt I could get the $90 kit. Have you found that TFS cams are typically right on out of the box or a degree or two off? Also, is there supposed to be a fuel pump eccentric on it anyway or not? My neighbor's 87 had one on it when he rebuilt it, but i dont remember there being one on the 96 explorer engine, just a bolt holding the cam sproket to the cam. Thanks!

Doug

maxine1970 said:
thumper....my timing gear is a comp cams double roller unit with 4 keyways on the crank sprocket. I put it on 4+. I assume 4+ is advanced and the 4- is retarded. i dont have a degree kit and on my engine budget doubt I could get the $90 kit. Have you found that TFS cams are typically right on out of the box or a degree or two off? Also, is there supposed to be a fuel pump eccentric on it anyway or not? My neighbor's 87 had one on it when he rebuilt it, but i dont remember there being one on the 96 explorer engine, just a bolt holding the cam sproket to the cam. Thanks!

Doug

only way to be sure is to degree it, todays manufacturing methods are pretty good but there are a few bad ones in every bunch so the only way o know for sure the acutal valve timing events are to degree the cam.

check the p/v NOW with the 1.7s and the 107 ICL of the B !! you can and will pick up some lower... but as you see the B has a 107 now!! IF you do advance it .. I'd only go 2*(105*)!! and yes there will be an increase on the low end... but mayby not worth all the tear down time??? Cool??

Just me..............................

Thumper