The best AODE

I'm planning on buying a stall converter too. I didn't know that Ford Racing made one until this thread. I looked around and they Ford Racing Crusher Converter that stalls between 3200 and 3500 RPM sells for about $450. When PI quoted me with shipping and everything the price came to more than double that. My friend with a 2001 Camaro Z28 installed a 3800 stall speed converter from TCI, brand new for $380. The car runs like a bat out of hell now. I thought those cheaper converters weren't that great but I guess they do the job.

• Sponsors (?)

KingDiamond said:
I'm planning on buying a stall converter too. I didn't know that Ford Racing made one until this thread. I looked around and they Ford Racing Crusher Converter that stalls between 3200 and 3500 RPM sells for about $450. When PI quoted me with shipping and everything the price came to more than double that. My friend with a 2001 Camaro Z28 installed a 3800 stall speed converter from TCI, brand new for $380. The car runs like a bat out of hell now. I thought those cheaper converters weren't that great but I guess they do the job.

Alot of the cheaper one's are prolly "OK", but when it comes to a converter, EVERYONE will tell you that you get what you pay for. With PI, customer service is unparallelled.

Customer Service for what though? If their parts are the best then you buy a stall from them and never call them again right? Maybe for a RE-stall, but to do that you still have to take it out and put it back in. Same thing as if you bought a new bigger stall, but you can sell the old one! I flat out can't afford $900 for customer service. I would rather get a set of aluminum heads for that much $$$.

I'll go against the grain here and go the cheap route. Damned if I do I suppose... but I'll let everyone know what I think about the cheaper stall. Maybe someone around here with a PI can let me ride in there's sometime. If I see a huge difference I'll sell my "crap" stall to my buddy... he's still making payments on his 95... so he is REALLY broke and will most likely not be able to afford a PI for many years.

I think I'm going to go the Ford Performance recommended route... it's a happy medium on price. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

gcomfx.com said:
Customer Service for what though? If their parts are the best then you buy a stall from them and never call them again right? Maybe for a RE-stall, but to do that you still have to take it out and put it back in. Same thing as if you bought a new bigger stall, but you can sell the old one! I flat out can't afford $900 for customer service. I would rather get a set of aluminum heads for that much $$$.

I'll go against the grain here and go the cheap route. Damned if I do I suppose... but I'll let everyone know what I think about the cheaper stall. Maybe someone around here with a PI can let me ride in there's sometime. If I see a huge difference I'll sell my "crap" stall to my buddy... he's still making payments on his 95... so he is REALLY broke and will most likely not be able to afford a PI for many years.

I think I'm going to go the Ford Performance recommended route... it's a happy medium on price. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive.

Go ahead, and good luck. I really did my homework when I was shopping for a converter, and I had decided I was going w/ a 9'' custom billet unit not long after I started looking. So I really didn't give the cheaper 12'' units a second look, except for Edge Racing Converters. I was impressed by them, but THEY even recommended PI for my goals. I started looking for a deal from the big companies (Art Carr, Lentech, Level 10), and guess what......that's right...$800. Every 9'' billet custom stall I found was that price. Until I happened on Big Tony, who hooked my up w/ the PI 3000 for less than $700 to my door.

Where the Customer service comes in is a few years down the road when my PI is a little tired, I can ship her to Tn. where they will cut her open, and refresh all the goodies making her like new for the tune of about $150. .....or in the unlikely event that I convince my wife that I "need" that TT setup, then for about $380 they will upgrade me to the multi-disk setup to handle around 600 horsies. :hail2: :flag:

Have you ever noticed that the ones that REALLY recommend a certain EXPENSIVE part on here.... don't pay as much as the "average joe" has to?

I was told I should just get an Art Carr tranny with a stall for $2k. Guess what... I personally can't get one from them that cheap. It's more like $4k!

Not trying to bitch at anyone in particular (so not directed at unclejackrock at all here) ... but it's sad to tell others they get what they pay for and they shouldn't skimp... but at the same time the other person has to pay $200 or more than the person criticizing going cheaper. It happens to me on here all the time. trannys, stalls, CAI, intakes, balancers, etc.

What the heck???

gcomfx.com said:
Have you ever noticed that the ones that REALLY recommend a certain EXPENSIVE part on here.... don't pay as much as the "average joe" has to?

I was told I should just get an Art Carr tranny with a stall for $2k. Guess what... I personally can't get one from them that cheap. It's more like $4k!

Not trying to bitch at anyone in particular (so not directed at unclejackrock at all here) ... but it's sad to tell others they get what they pay for and they shouldn't skimp... but at the same time the other person has to pay $200 or more than the person criticizing going cheaper. It happens to me on here all the time. trannys, stalls, CAI, intakes, balancers, etc.

What the heck???

:rlaugh: :lol: :D

I feel ya'.
Now I WAS prepared to plunk down $800 on a converter, and in the last minute, I checked one of my posts. Big Tony had a customer come on some bad luck and needed to sell an uninstalled Stallion. I got it for a good price, but from what I hear, Big Tony (and others I'm sure) can hook you up for about $700-$750 straight away. So I didn't steal one.:shrug:

Deals ARE OUT THERE!!! You just gotta' look, be patient, and be lucky to an extent. My lucky day was last week when I got an Eddy Performer and Phenolic spacer for $250 shipped. :nice:

:OT: I just got my good deal....

I bought my Bullitts from AFSWheels 6 months ago and one of the wheels won't hold a centercap for some reason? It seems tight as hell, but after a month it will be gone. They sent me two for free... but finally decided something was off in the center lug section.

They offered to replace it, but I was going to have to hassle with getting my tire unmounted and then remounted, messing with UPS and all that jazz... plus paying for the wheel up front so they could refund me when I sent mine in... (I sold my other wheels).

Instead I talked them into selling me two new wheels at $90 a piece shipped with new center caps (I slightly curbed one... :bang: )

So now I can permanently mount the centercap on the one wheel AND use the fuaking curbed one for matching drag wheels.

Plus if I ever damage a wheel... I have replacements!

Now back to a stall converter.....

gcomfx.com said:
:OT: I just got my good deal....

I bought my Bullitts from AFSWheels 6 months ago and one of the wheels won't hold a centercap for some reason? It seems tight as hell, but after a month it will be gone. They sent me two for free... but finally decided something was off in the center lug section.

They offered to replace it, but I was going to have to hassle with getting my tire unmounted and then remounted, messing with UPS and all that jazz... plus paying for the wheel up front so they could refund me when I sent mine in... (I sold my other wheels).

Instead I talked them into selling me two new wheels at $90 a piece shipped with new center caps (I slightly curbed one... :bang: )

So now I can permanently mount the centercap on the one wheel AND use the fuaking curbed one for matching drag wheels.

Plus if I ever damage a wheel... I have replacements!

Now back to a stall converter.....
:nice: :nice: :nice:

For the stall, check out www.edgeracingconverters.com
Call them and talk to Andre.

So PI are about the best you can buy for the street. What are some other good ones. I think I am going to start looking and see what I can find. What are some other good ones that have a better price. Ones that are about middle of the road. I think I am going to go with a 3500 stall. And how with this help my 1/4.

SuperDust22 said:
So PI are about the best you can buy for the street. What are some other good ones. I think I am going to start looking and see what I can find. What are some other good ones that have a better price. Ones that are about middle of the road. I think I am going to go with a 3500 stall. And how with this help my 1/4.

It can SLOW you down... if you don't have sticky tires or suspension mods. It'll be like dumping the clutch at 3,500 in a 5 speed. You got to hook up to be faster. Or it's a big smoke show! :D

KingDiamond said:

The Ford Racing AODE TC is listed at $350, not $450. Tell them the FRP catalog part number is M-7902-U, the stall speed is 2800-3000 (note: most stock AODE converters are 1800-2000 I had no trouble running to 1900 on mine - didn't try higher), depending on mods. the features are:

-Furnace brazed pump and turbine
-Steel spline
-Bearings on pump, turbine and cover
-Anti-ballooning plates on pump and cover
-Recommended for 'limited' street and strip applications
-retains lockup, works with stock input

I'm on a budget for my cars, and FRP dealer has never steered me wrong (I even get my other non-Ford aftermarket stuff from them, and as a club member I get a 15% discount from them ) :banana:

At $350, the price is pretty sweet. When I can afford one, I'm gonna get one. My son has been building up his 95 AODE as well, and he's buying one next month.

SuperDust22 said:
What suspension mods will I have to do? I know contol arms. Will I need upper and lower. And is there anything else besides that.
Well, with our cars I have seen good results from just using drag radials or ET Streets. But doing suspension will make it hook better. It just depends on how far you want to go, upper/lower control arms, struts/shocks, and springs. Anything that will help with weight transfer, will help you hook better.

I have not done a ton of research on a suspension setup that I will want to go with just yet. Maximum Motorsports and Lakewood seem to make some of the best products out there. I do like the cost of the Strange shocks/struts from Jegs, I just haven't heard of anyone using them yet. Our tracks here are closed until next season, so I have some time to decide on what will be needed to hook decently at the track.

Well, the drag radial is going to a better street friendly tire. You can drive on them just like a normal street radial. When you just up the drag radials, you got to get them nice and hot and then you can rip some decent 60' times. Nitto and BFG are the major makers of them, MT has some out or in production. The ET Street will grip better, its almost a true slick but is still DOT legal for street use. The Street tire will not be a good choice to drive around with, just because water and slick conditions on the road will not be fun. The drag radial is known to not be fun in the rain either but it is still better than the Street. The ET Streets can give you better 60' times compared to drag radials.

Nitto Drag Radial...

482213_4.jpg

BFG Drag Radial...

482213_2.jpg

ET Street...

482213_3.jpg

You should be able to see why the ET Street wouldn't be fun in the rain, but would hook very good at the track.