The infamous hot start

281CI96Coupe

Oct 30, 2006
I decided to throw this out there but i've notice not with just mustangs but a few other ford vehicles as well. Ex.) Expeditions, Explorers, Mustangs etc. Here is a video just for people who dont know what the infamous hot start is.... I call it the hot start because it sounds like the car wants to turn over but it doesn't, its like hiccuping, and usually it happens when the car is warm/hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCM5ca9z3zY On a side note - that exhaust note is sick

Tell me what you guys think, and how do you fix this or get rid of this

-Nate

• Sponsors (?)

Mine does it pretty often after its been running awhile, esp. if its been in stop and go.

Ill try and start it like normal, it will start to fire up then stall. Then it takes at least 2 more times to turn it over before it starts up again.

I had this problem pretty bad with my 02GT. Had a fuel/air induction service done to clean the carbon deposits and it improved it about 98%. Of course this was before I heard about Seafoam so you could always try that instead. I know people are always knocking extra services saying they are boat payments for the owners, but in this case, it worked for me. Made a huge difference. Cant argue with success

Yep, this is a common problem and I experience it when making several stops around town. Once the car gets hot, it doesn't turn over as easy.

Some people also experience stalling when coming to stoplights with the clutch in.

That has only happened to me a couple times and before I got my tune from Tim.

I had this problem pretty bad with my 02GT. Had a fuel/air induction service done to clean the carbon deposits and it improved it about 98%. Of course this was before I heard about Seafoam so you could always try that instead. I know people are always knocking extra services saying they are boat payments for the owners, but in this case, it worked for me. Made a huge difference. Cant argue with success

How much did you pay and what they exactly do?

It was this service right here http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/fuelair.htm

At the time I paid like $140 to have an independant garage do it. I was desperate for it to stop as it was driving me insane, and I had never heard of Seafoam. Seafoam may or may not be as thorough. But knowing then what I know now, it would have been my first attempt to fix it.

The way it was explained to me, the carbon deposits act like a sponge. When you shut your car off it lets the soaked up gas seep out into the cylinders, causing it to flood if you try to do a hot restart. If you give the engine time to cool, it is also giving the gas enoughtime to exit the cylinders so you dont have a flooding condition upon cold restart.

Mine would start like a champ every time the engine was cold. If the engine was hot, it would fail to start prob every other time. Thats how bad it was. Now I rarely, rarely have it happen to me.

It was this service right here http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/fuelair.htm

At the time I paid like $140 to have an independant garage do it. I was desperate for it to stop as it was driving me insane, and I had never heard of Seafoam. Seafoam may or may not be as thorough. But knowing then what I know now, it would have been my first attempt to fix it.

The way it was explained to me, the carbon deposits act like a sponge. When you shut your car off it lets the soaked up gas seep out into the cylinders, causing it to flood if you try to do a hot restart. If you give the engine time to cool, it is also giving the gas enoughtime to exit the cylinders so you dont have a flooding condition upon cold restart.

Mine would start like a champ every time the engine was cold. If the engine was hot, it would fail to start prob every other time. Thats how bad it was. Now I rarely, rarely have it happen to me.

:hail2: Man!! This is good solid info. Makes alot of sense. :hail2: