The (near) Future is Not Electric

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not "that guy", but I believe that EV's are being forced on us. Why? It's not entirely "environmental". EV's have capabilities that ICE doesn't, and we are seeing at least some of "that" in controlling of our thermostats, among many other things.

I'm not "totally" opposed to ev, however we have had over 100 years to perfect them, and to my knowledge, we haven't. Why? We had 100+ years of technology to learn from, whey are we not applying it? "They" want EV, yet they have no idea how to implement it. Those in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, you remember winter 2021 snowmageddon? We had forced power outages (brownouts) and we also had the media telling us that we have to conserve resources by turning our thermostats down because the grids (and pipelines) couldn't keep up with demand. Well, add in a few million EV's being charged. The current grid can't handle it. The current grid is fed by nuke, hydro, and natgas generated electricity. Well "they" want natgas gone, and they're doing it. 2 plants here have been shut down. Now our electric bill is skyrocketing (mine is 220% higher than last year with avg temp 0.3 deg cooler). And they want more EV? And they keep forcing it down our throats? No. I'm not ready. My house is on 100A service. To go EV, I'd have to upgrade to at least 200A service which means I have to pay the poco to replace all of the wire, all of the pipe (underground), my breaker box/panel, etc. That in itself, just the wire, pipe, and panel will cost me at least $4700. That's $4700 I don't have. That's $4700 that would be applied toward the cost of the EV. Most people keep a car 5 years at most, if you take that $4700 and divide it up over 5 years, that's $78.00 per month added to the initial cost. That does not account for the electric usage nor the charging station. The avg charging station cost is about $700 give or take (one time charge). The avg cost to charge is somewhere around $25.00/month.

So...you have $78 (panel/wiring/pipe) plus $12 (monthly, charging station cost spread out over 5 yr), and $25.00/mo to charge. That's $115/mo JUST to be able to drive it. Now you're gonna have to pay tax per mile (since you ain't using no gas, they're gonna tax you per mile), personal property tax, tires, wear and tear, maintenance, etc etc.

It's not any cheaper. It costs more in the long run. Your electric bill is going to go way up (demand is going to skyrocket and the poco's can't keep up).

Again we had over 100 years to figure this stuff out and our leaders want it all done in the next 10 years. Ain't happening.

You'll bury me with my ice's. Or they'll figure out how to pay me to own ev.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not "that guy", but I believe that EV's are being forced on us. Why? It's not entirely "environmental". EV's have capabilities that ICE doesn't, and we are seeing at least some of "that" in controlling of our thermostats, among many other things.

I'm not "totally" opposed to ev, however we have had over 100 years to perfect them, and to my knowledge, we haven't. Why? We had 100+ years of technology to learn from, whey are we not applying it? "They" want EV, yet they have no idea how to implement it. Those in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, you remember winter 2021 snowmageddon? We had forced power outages (brownouts) and we also had the media telling us that we have to conserve resources by turning our thermostats down because the grids (and pipelines) couldn't keep up with demand. Well, add in a few million EV's being charged. The current grid can't handle it. The current grid is fed by nuke, hydro, and natgas generated electricity. Well "they" want natgas gone, and they're doing it. 2 plants here have been shut down. Now our electric bill is skyrocketing (mine is 220% higher than last year with avg temp 0.3 deg cooler). And they want more EV? And they keep forcing it down our throats? No. I'm not ready. My house is on 100A service. To go EV, I'd have to upgrade to at least 200A service which means I have to pay the poco to replace all of the wire, all of the pipe (underground), my breaker box/panel, etc. That in itself, just the wire, pipe, and panel will cost me at least $4700. That's $4700 I don't have. That's $4700 that would be applied toward the cost of the EV. Most people keep a car 5 years at most, if you take that $4700 and divide it up over 5 years, that's $78.00 per month added to the initial cost. That does not account for the electric usage nor the charging station. The avg charging station cost is about $700 give or take (one time charge). The avg cost to charge is somewhere around $25.00/month.

So...you have $78 (panel/wiring/pipe) plus $12 (monthly, charging station cost spread out over 5 yr), and $25.00/mo to charge. That's $115/mo JUST to be able to drive it. Now you're gonna have to pay tax per mile (since you ain't using no gas, they're gonna tax you per mile), personal property tax, tires, wear and tear, maintenance, etc etc.

It's not any cheaper. It costs more in the long run. Your electric bill is going to go way up (demand is going to skyrocket and the poco's can't keep up).

Again we had over 100 years to figure this stuff out and our leaders want it all done in the next 10 years. Ain't happening.

sounds like you’re “ that guy” to me…;)

Reactions: 3 users
mach-e, that's a 4door isn't it?
Yeah, four door crossover. Fully electric. This is the one I saw at the Washington Auto Show early last year. I’ve been seeing them more and more on the road lately.
52DD1FAC-D91E-4B2C-AD2C-E1A6AFB5DA73.jpeg

I believe you are correct ... I have never voted for electric cars ... in fact no one has asked for my opinion on the matter
taxation with the appearance of representation is not the foundation of America

It would seem to me that hybrids are an ideal next step. You reduce oil consumption and buy time for technology to point the way.

It's far better than forcing something to fit.

I think it would be absolutely wonderful to take a 700 mile long trip for a holiday and have to charge 4 hours somewhere in the middle of it.

I think it would be great to spend $15,000 on a single charging unit that is also the slowest in order to not overrun the grid and $65,000 for two units (and the support that goes along with it).

I think it would be awesome to lose 20% of that energy turning it into power, transferring it, storing it, then transferring it again to store in your overpriced/overvalued electric golf cart that killed a forest worth of coal-fired plants just to make the batteries.

I think it would be sweet to sit in traffic on an interstate when it's below freezing outside with your family and hope to god you can get somewhere before you're all popsicles and/or baked in the desert heat (lookout Commiefornia).

How exactly does calling AAA for a few gallons of "go juice", work? :shrug:

Oh yeah... Electric vehicles are the brainchild of the future. :rolleyes:

Nobody rockets around in their Elon-S because they'd really like to make it home without the thing shutting down. :chin Yyyyyep... headed to the track this weekend to run my 2-laps before I tow her home with the diesel and covered trailer.

Yeah... That would be greaaaat. :coff:

Reactions: 1 user
Well,,, Let's not loose sight of the fact that the re-emergence (yes I said "re") of electric cars is relatively new technology. Like all new tech there will be a learning curve. We complain about range. But is the current range really such a bad deal? Look at our Foxbodies. They get what, between 150 -200 miles on a tank of gas, depending on how hard we romp on them? But we're worried about a Tesla Model S that gets 250 or more miles on a charge? The Mustang MachE is supposed to get 270 to 300 miles on a charge. Let's compare that to a 2021 GT Mustang with roughly a 16 gallon gas tank getting an average (mix of highway and city) of 19.5 MPG. that works out to 312 miles from a tank of gas. But, that also assumes you use every last drop of that 16 gallons. As we know, the properties of fluid displacement, there is always a gallon or two left along the bottom of the tank when the pickup is dry. So let's assume, only 1 gallon is dispersed across the bottom of the tank. That still leaves us with 293 average miles from that tank. Leaving us short of the 300 miles the Mach E could get, as a battery could be run until there is absolutely nothing left.

"Oh, but the horsepower isn't there" Are we sure about that? The GT makes 460HP with the engine screaming at 7000RPM. The Mustang Mach E makes 459HP. Not bad for a mom-mobile. An electric motor is capable of delivering it's maximum toque form the moment it starts turning. So, the GT and the Mach E are within 1 HP of each other, and the GT has to be over the red-line (RL@ 6500PRM) to do it! Ford says the Mach-E GT Performance can hit 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, while the GT takes 4.2 seconds.
https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/m...3306796!b!!g!!+mustang +gt +2021&gclsrc=aw.ds

So why are we so worried about range when electric gets about the same, or more miles out of a charge as a conventional car gets on a tank of gas? Perhaps it is that it takes longer to charge batteries than it does to fill an empty gas tank. I previously mentioned that this relatively new tech and as we learn from what we have done, we will in the future develop newer and quicker charging methods; or maybe Tesla and other companies, perhaps those that currently sell gasoline and diesel will further develop a toy that Tesla plays with for a while, then puts it away for a while, then gets it back out to play with it again..... The toy I speak of is a battery swapping system. You drive your car onto a platform, and a lift comes up and disconnects your old battery, and lowers it. Then it carries the dead battery away to another room where it it analyzed and recharged, and placed in line for another customer later in the day. After your old battery is taken away, a freshly charged battery is lifted into place by a second lift jack. The swap takes about the same, or possibly even less time that it would take to refill a Foxbody with gas. And best of all, you don't even have to get out of your car, (which is especially nice when it's cold like it is right now here in Ohio) and handle a stinky, dirty, gas pump.

In conclusion when we compare an electric mom-mobile to a conventional muscle car we see the mom mobile beating the muscle car in every criteria but one. And that third criteria has a work-around in development. As previously stated, electric is still in essence, a new technology. When we look at the company (Tesla) that is primarily responsible for the re-emergence of electric cars we find they were founded as recently as 2003, and released their first mass produced car in 2010. When we consider how far electric has come in just under 20 years, vs how far gas power has come in the same time period, ther ecan be little question that electric vehicles are the way of the future. Some forecasts say as of 2035 gasoline powered vehicles will no longer be mass produced and the industry will have made the switch to electric.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that there is any doubt that alternative fuel vehicles are the wave of the future. Petroleum can only get you so far, but it's easy.

I'll go back to my previous statement of where does the power come from?

You can have battery swapping stations, or fast chargers, but where does all the power come from?

There are currently no major upgrades to electrical generating stations, or to infrastructure that I am aware of.

You have to power all these new, what a joke, zero emissions vehicles.

Yes EV car or something like them will rule the road in the future.

I watched a video the other day of Elon comparing ice to horses. The problem I see with that is when Petroleum power cars came to be an infrastructure developed around them. It's easier to haul a gallon of gasoline than it is to wire up a charging station.

I like the idea of EVs. Plan to own one, but I don't see how they are going to be more of a benefit in the short term than a burden.

Brass tacks. Ice is going to be replaced.