The usual combo opinion thread...

I'm new to the 5.0L/AOD, but not to stangs, Ive done a carb'd 289 no prob, but FI is an unknown to me. Will the below combo result in a 12 sec 89 gt? Do you see any weak points that should be addressed (besides the AOD)??

Engine -
302 - KB 115 Pistons (9.6:1 compression)
World Products Windsor JR heads - 2.02 int 1.6 exh
1.7 RR
GT-40 upper and lower intake
70mm TB
24lb Injectors
F303 cam
long tube headers - 1 5/8"
spintech side exhaust kit
150 NOS dry kit
all belt driven accessories still on car

Drivetrain
AOD - Transgo shift kit - 2200 stall
3.73 gears

Please give me your opinions!!!

• Sponsors (?)

65stang311 said:
I'm new to the 5.0L/AOD, but not to stangs, Ive done a carb'd 289 no prob, but FI is an unknown to me. Will the below combo result in a 12 sec 89 gt? Do you see any weak points that should be addressed (besides the AOD)??

Engine -
302 - KB 115 Pistons (9.6:1 compression)
World Products Windsor JR heads - 2.02 int 1.6 exh
I would look into the TFS Heads or AFR Heads
65stang311 said:
1.6 should suffice since you are already going for a bigger cam.
65stang311 said:
GT-40 upper and lower intake
Look into the Trick Flow or Edelbrock Intakes.
65stang311 said:
65mm Should be good enough.
65stang311 said:
24lb Injectors
Good, but look into a 255 in tank fuel pump, and the mathcing air meter, something bigger than the TB size.
65stang311 said:
I'd look into a custom or a nitrous cam, comp cams has a good selection. and for the custom, www.flowtechinduction.com can help you out.
65stang311 said:
long tube headers - 1 5/8"
Good choice.
65stang311 said:
spintech side exhaust kit
Never experienced with side exhaust
65stang311 said:
150 NOS dry kit
Always good to have a power adder, don't be surprised with a very good tune, you break into the 11's with some good driving, and sticky tires.
65stang311 said:
all belt driven accessories still on car
Daily driver huh?

65stang311 said:
Drivetrain
AOD - Transgo shift kit - 2200 stall
3.73 gears
Might want to beef this up if you plan on using slicks.

65stang311 said:
Please give me your opinions!!!
Hope this helped.

Hell yeah thats what I wanted to know....

As for the daily driver part, just on the good weather days. Depends on how stock looking I can keep it on the outside, don't want attention, just the fun.

I haven't even got the car yet, but want to get everything in order when I pick it up next month so the work can start.

Please keep em coming!

65stang311 said:
Hell yeah thats what I wanted to know....

As for the daily driver part, just on the good weather days. Depends on how stock looking I can keep it on the outside, don't want attention, just the fun.

I haven't even got the car yet, but want to get everything in order when I pick it up next month so the work can start.

Please keep em coming!
my car is a daily driver.

65stang311 said:
Would a 80 mm MAF be too large?

And would 30 lb injectors be too much?

Im asking this in the case of someday upgrading to a supercharger, and thinkin of planning ahead with the bigger MAF and Injectors.

Thanks!
30 would be good for n/a, but for a S/C application I would go with 42lb and up depending on you HP output. 80mm will be fine.