things to check on a test drive

• Sponsors (?)

Other things to check:

1. How fast you can get it to 60
2. If hot women are check you out in it
3. If the back seat has enough room for... the hot women that are checking you out :D
4. If ricers are giving you thumbs up (if so return it to the dealership right away)

I'd just rent a V6 car for a few days to see if you could live with it day to day. Then test drive a GT and see if you can scare the pee out of the salesman (and possibly yourself). Then go back to your house and use the phone and e-mail to get the best price from a fleet manager.

Matt Gruber said:
based on reports coming in, here is my check list.
1. wide turning radius?
2. poor rear visibility?
3. crummy rear seat?
4. bouncy ride on bumpy roads?
5. tires noisey at speed?
6. body too plain?
:cheers:
:rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

#1...uh... every Mustang every produced has a huge turn radius
#2.... check out a 71-73 Mustang and compare the rear visbility
#3.... crummy rear seat?? lol... your buying it for the rear seat??
#4... bouncy on bumpy roads? hmmm... maybe check to see if it is smooth on smooth roads too....
#5.... uh... what speed??? everything is noisy at 130+mph
#6... I think there are enough pics out there to answer this one.. or see it at car shows... or on TV... or any car magazine publish in the past 3 months...

Make sure you kick the tires and check the oil level too....

66Satellite said:
I'd just rent a V6 car for a few days to see if you could live with it day to day. Then test drive a GT and see if you can scare the pee out of the salesman (and possibly yourself). Then go back to your house and use the phone and e-mail to get the best price from a fleet manager.

I've never had a salesman go with me. If I did, I suppose that I would try to scare them. :D

I noticed today, that the nearest Ford dealer has cleared out all of the 04 Mustangs from their usual spot on the lot. They do that everytime the new ones are about to come in. As soon as they do, I'm gonna go test drive one!

Here's a helpful hint for the poor turning radius, after you cut the wheel, jam the gas pedal to the floor. Not only will this shorten the turning radius but it's guaranteed to make the salesman pee himself and probably you too. :D

You are reading the wrong reports.

The turning radius of the 2005 Mustang is substantially smaller than the last generation. More than one of the car rag articles mentioned this. I think the M/T article specifically talked about the "s" shaped LCAs that allow greater wheel turn.

ALL of the articles have talked about how much the ride is improved. A couple of them specifically said that the 2005 Mustang will make a GREAT daily driver, where the last generation was too crude (in their opinion) to use for a daily driver.

How to you check to see if the body is too plain while you are test driving? I need to know that for when I go on a test drive.

1. If it's too wide, stick with your tricycle as it can turn on a dime (literally).
2. All you need is a rearview mirror to see all the little ricers you'll be smokin.
3. If you want a comforable rear seat, take a cab.
4. Lincoln town cars have a smooth as silk ride.
5. An aftermarket exhaust and a simple radio volume adjustment should take care of this.
6. Body too plain....buy a camaro...oh, sorry I guess they quit making those.

TheEvII said:
Here's a helpful hint for the poor turning radius, after you cut the wheel, jam the gas pedal to the floor. Not only will this shorten the turning radius but it's guaranteed to make the salesman pee himself and probably you too. :D

Couldn't have said it better myself. :nice:

I want you all to take a good look at that post.....that's a real Mustang driver right there. Anyone not sharing that idea can walk their poser asses over to the Honda dealership. :spot:

:D

i dont know how your going to go test drive it unless your going to wait to spring....the second biggest dealership in San Diego is getting a whopping 4 to sell at sticker price and they are going to be V6's...the rest are those that were ordered and I dont think anyone that ordered it is going to test drive theirs and then change their mind....and then the big kicker is once those 4 are gone they are planning on getting any more in until some time next year. And that is directly from the guy that does the ordering for the dealership, he actually paid for theirs yesterday, so he knows exactly what he is getting none of that BS run around from lame salesmen that wouldnt know the 6 from the 8 anyway.

does anyone think the new stang will ride as smooth as my 67? it doesn't have to, but i am curious. my 67 has a live axle.
The back seat test isn't for me(Duh), i take my aging parents for groceries once a week. can they climb out?, that's the test.
body too plain? on my 67 all 4 corners are visable for easy parking, they designed this into the body. Duh!
If the stang can't turn sharper than a gigantic galaxie, something is wrong! Just because the 05 is better than the04, don't make the naive conclusion that the 05 is in every way better than a 67. i say SHOW ME.
Since i may want a cobra, an immediate test is not needed.

I had a 1967 - 390 GT fastback. It rode like a truck. Had to put traction bars on it to keep it's POS leaf spring rear axle from winding up. Seats in the 67 were crap too. There is no question in my mind that the 2005 Stang will ride incredibly better than a 67 and be FAR more comfortable.

The 05 GT will probably be faster than my old 67 - 390 GT even though I had tube headers, CJ heads and aluminum manifold along with a Holly 850 double pumper on it along with several different ignition systems. Best part of that old GT was trying to change the rear spark plug on the driver's side. :bang:

Oh, did I mention the '05 will get way better gas mileage too? :nice:

Matt Gruber said:
based on reports coming in, here is my check list.
1. wide turning radius?
2. poor rear visibility?
3. crummy rear seat?
4. bouncy ride on bumpy roads?
5. tires noisey at speed?
6. body too plain?
:cheers:

Oh, I get it now. You just read the review by those 2 idoits in the Detroit News.

You forgot to ask about the engine noise in the GT. Do you think that those 2 old fart morons from the Detroit News understand that the biggest complaint that 90% of the people who buy 2005 Mustang GTs will have is that there is not enough engine and exhuast noise?

And how can you say that the 2005 body is more plain than your 1967 Mustang?

351CJ said:
....the biggest complaint that 90% of the people who buy 2005 Mustang GTs will have is that there is not enough engine and exhuast noise?

:nice:

If I decide to get the 05, this time I might go for the Magnapacks instead of the standard ones. :banana:

Plus now knowing how new cars in New Jersey don't need to be inspected for 4 years, I'll do the exhaust right this time. Longtubes and no cats :banana: :banana:

351CJ said:
Oh, I get it now. You just read the review by those 2 idoits in the Detroit News.

You forgot to ask about the engine noise in the GT. Do you think that those 2 old fart morons from the Detroit News understand that the biggest complaint that 90% of the people who buy 2005 Mustang GTs will have is that there is not enough engine and exhuast noise?

And how can you say that the 2005 body is more plain than your 1967 Mustang?

Hey! Come on now... everyone's entitled to their opinion. Even if it happens to be wrong! :nice:

351CJ said:
You are reading the wrong reports.

I think the M/T article specifically talked about the "s" shaped LCAs that allow greater wheel turn.

Arent they L shapped? not S shapped?

05MUST63.jpg