thoughts on my engine combo

heres what i have planned for my new engine for my cougar
stock rebuilt bottom end 302
aluminum gt-40 heads 1.94/1.54
lunati voodoo cam 256/ 262, Lift .483/ .499
proform hei distributor
(performer rpm intake
holley 600 cfm vac. secondary carb and headers off my old engine)

what kind of hp numbers do you think ill see from this setup,
and also do you think ill see any piston to valve clearance problems with my stock pistons and those heads/cam
also any other comments/suggestions would be great
thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

What gears are in the car and what converter is in it/or are planning to run?

Either way, its a pretty small cam . . . probably better suited for a generic Performer. If you don't already have #61001, I would step up to the #61002 219/227 @.050 .499"/.522". The heads will static at around .530 if they are untouched and the intake will be better suited.

3.55s and 3000 stall converter would probably round it out.

I'd go with a larger cam like the others have stated. Those heads will breathe much better than stockers so get a cam that will help get the most out of them.
Gears and converter will make a huge difference in performance. Even if you don't plan on racing it, those 2 items will give you great seat of the pants and tire burning performance (if that's what you are after:D ).

alright i guess ill step up to the next size cam seeing as i havent ordered it yet , its got a 2500 rpm hughes convertor and 3.55s already so that parts taken care of,

so will my stock pistons work ok with the 1.94 intake valves in those heads

Yeah, that's the wild card. If the pistons are cut for stock valves, you could run into trouble, esp. with a bigger cam. If you haven't purchased the pistons yet, you might opt for some with more valve relief. I'd feel more confident with 1.90I valves, but maybe someone here knows more about whether 1.94s will work.

57fairlane said:
There are too many variables, you will have to measure.

The clay method and the weak spring method are easy and well worth the time.

can someone point me to a site that explains this in detail
and my only reason for trying to use the stock pistons is cuz theyre already in the engine and theyre in good shape so i figured id try to reuse them

you'll probably be ok up to about .525 lift with the stock pistons and 1.94 valves but i'd still clay them just to make sure. if you do end up needing a little more valve relief in the pistons you can buy a tool (probably from comp cams) that you just use in place of an intake valve and chock up in a drill to cut a little more relief in the stock pistons. if you use a drill stop on the tool you can do all the pistons and not have to worry about having them rebalanced so long as you don't have to do a large cut.