Three simple questions about midpipe exhaust removal/install and crossmember?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
What size are the bolt heads for the Manifold to H-pipe bolt heads and the H-pipe to cat-back bolts?

Also anyone happen to know 'torque' specs on those bolts?

Also real quick, what size are the two nuts that hold on the transmission crossmember?

I would check on mine, but I'm pretty sure they aren't stock size heads on the bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

Socket size: 5/8" (deep 1/2" drive impact sockets work best for me)

Torque Spec: "tight" (not to be mistaken for "God-awful-tight," which is the torque spec for things like the harmonic balancer bolt :D )

Seriously, I don't think there's a very specific torque rating for them, but if I had to put a number on it, I'd guess something like 65 ft. lbs. (basically about half as tight as you'd crank down a lugnut). Just tighten both nuts down equally (don't cinch one all the way down while the other's just hanging there, go back n' forth) so that you don't warp it, and don't tighten it so ridiculously tight that it bends the flange or breaks any of the welds.

Pretty sure the tranny crossmember bolts are also 5/8", although I do remember the bolts that came with my Energy Suspension poly mount were a differently-sized head than the OEM bolts.

Thanks for the response...I was just trying to get an idea on what size they were:nice: Yeah, everytime I have put on a mid-pipe I have always torqued it pretty hard. I was just curious if there was a torque spec out there...65 ft. lbs sounds good to me:)

Looking for more responses...

Trans crossmember bolt and nut sizes are 15 & 17 MM.

Thank you:nice:

I know there are two nuts that go on the underside of the crossmember and there are two bolts that go thru the crossmember braces on either side (1 on each side).

So I guess the bolts are 15 and the nuts on the underside are 17?

Thank you:nice:

I know there are two nuts that go on the underside of the crossmember and there are two bolts that go thru the crossmember braces on either side (1 on each side).

So I guess the bolts are 15 and the nuts on the underside are 17?

The bolts and nuts at the outer ends of the crossmember where it bolts to the frame are 15 MM & 17 MM. The bolts go through rubber bushings and ride in a steel sleeve.

The bolts and nuts at the outer ends of the crossmember where it bolts to the frame are 15 MM & 17 MM. The bolts go through rubber bushings and ride in a steel sleeve.

Okay, gotcha.

Anyone anyone know the two nut sizes that go below the crossmember?

I would just get the sizes off my car, but it is an AOD/T5 Swapped car and some bolts may not be 'stock.'

If by "below" the crossmember, you mean the two mounting bolts that hold on the tranny mount, those were the ones that were 5/8" on mine. I remember there being a size difference between the stocker and the ES mount, but I can't remember if it was just one size SAE smaller, or if it was a switch from Metric to SAE (or vice-versa). :scratch: Being senile sucks...

Well, maybe mine is different:shrug: I have two crossmember bolts on either side of the tranny about two feet difference between sides. One on each side. They have one nut for each bolt so they tighten together.

Then, I have two NUTS a few inches apart directly under the transmission that bolt against the crossmember and press it against the tranny. Anyone know those?

I hope that made more sense:)