Throwing Code: 5284 Oil Pressure Switch Failure

Apr 14, 2003
I was looking at around at different codes and decided to check my car. It said DTC 5284 I looked it up and it said that 5284 is an Oil Pressure Switch Failure. My gauge looks fine, but it is a dummy gauge, so should I do anything about it?

• Sponsors (?)

Ditto mine does the same thing and did it on my 00' Mustang don't worry about it. I'm thinking this is common after awhile it would go away but it seems like every time I drain my oil it comes up again, I'm gonna double check next time!

First time I pulled that DTC, I brought it in to Ford and they replaced the oil pressure switch. Next time I brrought it in for the same code, the tech tells me that the car must be running when you check the DTCs otherwise it will pull a code because the switch is not activated with the engine not running. Kinda makes sense to me, but who knows . . . I'm not worrying about it. I don't have an MIL, so I doubt it's a big deal either way.

I've had this code come up a few times before, and there's nothing wrong with my oil pressure sender. As a matter of fact, the other day I started my car up after being garaged/disconnected for 2 months, and I got a no fuel reading on a full tank.

When I check my DTCs and see this oil pressure switch failure code and nothing else, I'll reset the computer, either that or drive it a bunch. It takes something like 10 starts for it to work it's way out. My gauge still dummies to the middle of Normal, thus why I installed a real gauge.

Sorry to bump back a really old thread, but at least I searched. :D

My "Service Engine Soon" light has been on for a couple days and I got the code off the instrument cluster, it's 5284.

I understand there's nothing really wrong (right?) but I was wondering if I can make my light stop going on. It's really distracting, especially at night. Any help would be great. Thanks.

EDIT:
It's a 1999 GT w/ 65k miles.
I put March UDP's (minus the alternator) on 2 days before this started. Could it be related?

BMan5150 said:
".....the tech tells me that the car must be running when you check the DTCs otherwise it will pull a code because the switch is not activated with the engine not running."

You hit the nail right on the head with that statement. :nice:

I don't believe using the instrument cluster technique will give you a SES code. Go to autozone and get the code pulled. If it is in fact a switch just get it from Randy Stinchomb on here. Otherwise post up the code and we'll help. :nice: