Timing chain being replaced..while its open...

2000 GT 5-spd

So ya, the ticking, the god-awful ticking, turns out to be either the tensioner, or the timing chain itself...but at anyrate...its getting opened up...

I was taking a look at the teardown procedure, and you really open it up to get to the timing chain, so while its apart I was thinking about putting a set of cams in...

No, honestly, I'm new to these 2v motors and want some feedback...

What are the HP gains? Is it worth it? What are they worth? I'm not doing this one, so there will be labour...(yes in Canada we spell Labour with a U)..haha...

I have done a search and couldnt quite get the answers I was lookin for...

Anything else I might do while it's apart?

Thanks guys...again....for the help...

• Sponsors (?)

i would definately replace the timing set. NAPA actually sells a complete timing set, and is a lot cheaper than the dealer. i know when im bored at work i price out parts for a buildup using the whole ford parts catalog, its fun, but adds up quick.

not very hard at all, if you can turn a wrench, and buy a haynes manual, it will tell you step by step.

long as you have something else to drive in the meantime, you can save yourself a ton of money, and learn alot about the car your driving at the same time.

at least its something you can do without pulling the motor. and you won't need any specialty tools besides a torque wrench to get it back together.

Are 05 GTs 2 valve motors??? :shrug: LOL I thought that they were 3 valve all of this time. :crazy: LOL
Who mentioned an 05?

Cams are a fairly easy mod but you have to take your time. If you go to Modular Depot you can find a write-up on a cam swap there. Also hotmustang something or another has a good write-up as well. Pretty sure he will clock in soon and give the link.

Who mentioned an 05?

Cams are a fairly easy mod but you have to take your time. If you go to Modular Depot you can find a write-up on a cam swap there. Also hotmustang something or another has a good write-up as well. Pretty sure he will clock in soon and give the link.

WTF...LOL I must have been hitting the pipe again.... I have no clue what I was talking about...That is what happens when you spend to much time on StangNet
:jester:

lol...

Ok thanks guys..

So, I've been talking to the guys at Steeda and it looks like their gonna do the cam swap and timing stuff for me as well as the tune...they say it should set me up around 300 RWHP.
I'm going with a set of Comp Cam Stage II's and new valve springs...etc

Can't wait to see the results!

lol...

Ok thanks guys..

So, I've been talking to the guys at Steeda and it looks like their gonna do the cam swap and timing stuff for me as well as the tune...they say it should set me up around 300 RWHP.

Steeda.ca?

Good guys there. :hail2:

lol...

Ok thanks guys..

Whoa...how much?

So ya, like I was saying a few months back...

I did end up sending my car to Steeda.ca in Milton, they rebuilt the motor completely, along with the comp stage II cams, SCT X2 calibrator and all...
I'm now at 267.9HP at the wheels and 290.7 Torque...my first day at the track with it I ran a [email protected] think I can shave off a bit more, but at anyrate, I'm happy...

The only downside to all that is that it took 8 weeks, wasnt to happy about that, but at least I got another month or 2 to drive it before winter...