Timing doesn't advance with spout in

Lawbreaker5.0

Feb 20, 2009
Texas
I just re stabbed my distributer cuz the tfi was hitting the water neck orginally. I set the timing to 10 degrees and turned off the car and plugged the spout in. Started her back up and it read about 14 degrees? I thought the computer adds 20 degrees or so, so i should be around 30 degrees, right? Maybe i'm wrong, but thats what i remember reading.

What would cause it to only add 4 degrees?

• Sponsors (?)

I did not blip the throttle. That would make sense then. I swear i always hear/read "my base timing is 14 degrees and total timing is 34". So by quickly hitting the throtle it should go to a certain degree and stay there until it comes back down from idle?

If you give it a blip, it should spike up to 20-30 or something and come down. Total timing is heavily dependant on load,rpm and other factors.

Now if you blip it and it doesn't move, then you have a prob

Is the hot idle set really high?

It should have advanced 10* or so with installing the SPOUT connector, regardless of throttle blipping. You can easily hear the difference in the idle speed with the SPOUT connected vs not.

Are there any codes? Is the SPOUT circuit open?

Yeah I have the base idle pretty high. I was trying to help a rolling idle issue but now I read that setting it higher makes it worse. I'm about to work on the car and will know more in a little bit.