Timing Set/Cam/Crank problem

srjs28

Jan 12, 2010
i installed cam and crank assembly, went smooth no problems. i installed new cam thrust plate and timing set and torqued cam gear bolt to spec(40-45ftlb) now the crank and timing set wont turn. looks like the bolts heads from the thrust plate are hitting back side of cam gear. its binding up somehow... what stupid thing am i missing? i know its something simple. (there is no eccentric) and i never removed any type of spacer. help?

• Sponsors (?)

its a comp cam xe270hr-14 grind. it is the exact same on the bolt end of the stock cam. also its a stock timing set with the same bolts i removed. yes the thust plate is on correctly, as well as the gears. it looks like im missing some sort of spacer or bearing. but i never removed any. anybody know what im talking about?

What is the camshaft endplay? Even though its a stock timing set, it may be machined a little thicker. If itd hitting the thrust plate bolts, then you will probably need to counter sink the holes, and use counter sink bolts.

end play was zero. it wouldnt budge when torqued to spec, because the gear was hitting the thrust plate bolt heads. crank wouldnt even turn, but with just the cam and thrust plate end play was 1.350, which is way too much. i installed the old cam ( how it was when i took it apart (running motor). and same problem. a spacer or bearing would just throw off the gears allignment. im stumped

if i were to counter sink the plate it would take away too much material and greatly weaken the bolt "ears", more than they already are. something just isnt right.

Lots of counter sink thrust plates running around. Its common. I'm telling you what the problem is. Its the timing set.

Look around at some thrust plates that are counter sink. And look at the bolts used. Some are allen heads. And the thrust plate is extremely strong.

what i dont understand is that its the same timing set i took off. i didnt change anything. and now i put it back together and it hits the bolts and binds up

i do not have a new timing set, sorry if i made it sound like that in my rambling. but i did use both new and old thrust plate (same bolts) with both comp cam and stock cam. all had exact same results. i also checked my rear engine plug and its correct.