Tire Size for 18x9 rims

dogteam7

Founding Member
May 16, 1999
Stockbridge, GA, US
I have searched and read this forum several time to get an idea how widw a tire can I use on the rims I am purchasing. There are some threads that say the tire 255 is the narrowest with 275 being widest. I read that 245s are to narrow and are stretched on a 9 inch rim. Tire rack suggests a 245 for an 18x9 rim. I want as wide a tire as possible keeping as close to the original diameter as possible to not effect the speedometer too much.

Also what do you think of these rims? http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?rcz=30253&mk=FORD&rc=GAAINT&yr=2002&wd=18&c=5&dVeh=dVeh&pc=59499&rw=&bp=&vid=006603

• Sponsors (?)

dogteam7 said:
I have searched and read this forum several time to get an idea how widw a tire can I use on the rims I am purchasing. There are some threads that say the tire 255 is the narrowest with 275 being widest. I read that 245s are to narrow and are stretched on a 9 inch rim. Tire rack suggests a 245 for an 18x9 rim. I want as wide a tire as possible keeping as close to the original diameter as possible to not effect the speedometer too much.

Also what do you think of these rims? http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findWheelDetail.do?rcz=30253&mk=FORD&rc=GAAINT&yr=2002&wd=18&c=5&dVeh=dVeh&pc=59499&rw=&bp=&vid=006603
I run 265/35/18 front and 275/35/18 rear. The rear size is the stock diameter so it won't affect your speedometer. 285/35/18 will also fit fine in the rear.

Wade

It depends on if you're talking about the rear or front tires. On the front, i'm running 245/40/18 Sumitomos and they fit perfect and handle well. On the rear i am running a 285/35/18 and that works well. Are you planning on getting the same size all around or different sizes up front and back?

Im running a 245/40 up front and 275/35 in the back. The biggest I would go is 255 in front and 285 in back. those sizes shouldn' affect you speedo

For what its worth, I opted to go with 275/35/18 all the way around so I could rotate the tires for max tread life. The car is lowered and the front tires will rub against the swaybar when the wheel is turned all the way in either direction. It's not bad and it didn't do it at all till I added the bigger aftermarket swaybar. I also added HR hubcentric wheel spacers in the rear to give it a fatter look.

go same all the way........i run 275's all the way around...its good enought for the cobra......and by the way, unless your loaded, have fun buying new tires for the rear...........i awesome when the rears are showing, and just rotate.....yeehaw:lol:

I'm not trying to hate on your rim choice but they look like bullit wheels. If you were to get the bullit wheels you could get a 10.5 wide rear. Just my .02. The wheels do look good though.

BTW the 285s on the rear and 265s in the front will fit fine