tire to fender lip clearance, whats considered min?

On my 65 vert, after carefully measuring the fender lip (inside edge) to inner wheel house (11") and the wheel moumting surface (brake drum) to inner wheel house (6.75") If I use a 14 X7 Styled Steel Wheel for the 65 from Mustangs unlimited with 4.75" backspace this leaves 2" from outter wheel edge to fender lip edge and from inner wheel edge to inner wheel house. This puts the wheel dead nuts center of the wheel well, now if i add a 24560R-14 BFG with a side wall width of 9.8" on a 7" rim this would be 1.4 inches byond each edge of the wheel. with that said if I subtract 1.4" from the cal. 2" wheel clearance this will leave .600" (nearly 5/8") clearance from the tire side wall to fender lip and tire sidewall to inner wheel house putting the Tire dead nuts center of the wheel well. The main reason I want a 245/60R14 on the rear is 2 fold, I want wider on the rear for the 60-70's retro look and a 245/60R14 tire OD is .200" taller than the 205/70R14 I am running on the front. This is as close as I can get to having front and rear tire the same OD which is what I am shooting for.:flag:

Does anyone agree or disagree that 5/8" is enough tire clearance? Any input would be greatley appreciated.

Ron B.

• Sponsors (?)

I have 245/60/14 on the rerar of my '66 coupe and dont have any problems. I dont know what the backspacing is on my wheels though. It's been way too long since I put them on:shrug: Plus I have an old set of Superior wheels and not factory wheels.

5/8" clearance at full bump should be plenty of clearance. that will allow the leaf springs to deflect the normal 1/4", and it will also allow the sidewalls to deflect a bit also.