To All Those 96-98 Gt Owners!

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 98 GT. When I got it, I wasn't really too impressed with it. I started with the small things, like a 70mm throttle body. That didn't do much, but I kept at it. I got a MAC cold air intake and pullies, but I still didn't notice much. :nonono: Next, came the Magnaflows. They woke the car up. Quite a bit, in performance and in sound. This is where I took my car to the dyno for the first time. Once the pulls were over, the guy asked me what I had done to the car and I told him. He said that the gains were about standard for a non headswap GT, at around 218 HP on the wheels and 287 torque. Figuring a 17% driveline loss that had me at around 260-265 FWHP. I got a king cobra clutch, Steeda Tri-Ax :nice: , and Steeda subframe connectors. These were good mods, too. My last mod was a C&L 80mm Mass Air Meter, and this was one of my better mods (I thought). It gave me 8 RWHP peak and 15 ft/lbs or torque at peak as well. HP/TQ=226/302. I have a lot more to do as soon as my finances allow, but it shouldn't be too long from now. I haven't been to the track in a long time, but my best times were [email protected] mph in the 1/8th mile. There's a few traction issues there.

The car is slow but like all cars, with a little money (or in our case a lot) they can be very fast. Like some other guys said, a head swap really ought to be the first thing on your list. It costs a lot but if you go the other route with lots of small mods, they kinda equal out. Make sure you do it right the first time. See link in sig for pics.

Here's my mods. Best time with drag radials is 13.98 @ 100 on street tires, it's 14.40 @ 98.8. If I could get my 60' time below 2.5, I'm sure it'd look a little nicer. :nonono:

Suspension

- Intrax 2" lowering springs
- Steeda X2 Ball joints
- Maximum Motorsports front swaybar end links
- Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates
- Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable shocks and struts

Exhaust

- Bassani off road X pipe
- Flowmaster American Thunder Catback system

Induction

- Homeade cold air induction
- C&L 80mm mass air flow sensor
- K&N Filter

Engine

- Steeda underdrive pulleys
- Steeda timing adjuster set at 16*

Drivetrain

- Rebuilt 4R70W transmission with high friction clutch plates and 99 GT pressure plates and solenoids
- Transgo shift kit set at stage II
- Manual valve in valve body for computer shift points override.
- Ford Racing 4.10 rear end gears
- Moser Engineering Auburn Pro limited slip differential
- Moser Engineering Forged 28 spline axles

I dont have to many mods on my car, although i do have a bunch of stuff that needs to be installed (heads, cams, new suspension, gears, etc) but click on the link in my sig for more info. I love my LT headers
thumb.gif

I have a 98 gt. So far all I have is stock 3.27's A K&N drop in filter, and off road H and weld in flows. best time is
14.4@95mph and 9.2@??mph
Hopefully after I buy my bike I will get a headswap and pull for 300+rwhp