Too Good To Be True? Probably

• Sponsors (?)

Screenshot_20170907-113943.png

Reactions: 1 user
1) The block was painted red and so are the cylinder heads, this tells me that there's a great chance the cylinder heads on this engine are cast iron. Can't think of any decent head for a 302 that will get you near 400 crank HP without it being aluminum. Who paints aluminum heads?
$3,500 is way too much for this car IMO unless there's about $2,500 in the glove box that comes with the car. I'm not trying to be harsh, I'm just trying to arm you with information about the car that you may purchase.
Agree'd, to get over 400 crank hp on stock heads... the guy would be asking $3500 for the heads alone and selling the car separately...
:).
It does not look like that kind of build.
If it does make over 400 crank hp on stock heads, it'll sound like it's trying to quit at 1200rpm and like it's spitting out bits of metal while doing so.
Or, as doubtful as it is, maybe those are ancient TFS iron high ports... but, those are so rare, again, he'd likely be asking 3500 for the heads and selling the car separately...

Believe me when I say the dude has no idea what he's talking about. The info he's telling me sounds like the previous owner took advantage of this guys lack of knowledge. He gave me the name of the previous owner, and the p.o. happens to be a mechanic and owns a shop in the town we have a cabin in, so tomorrow am I'm gunna go up to his shop and see if he has more info I.e. Cams, brakes, suspension, etc. we have been dealing partially with he guys wife (classic she is motivated asf to sell and he's not) so I guess we'll have to wait and see what's up! The suspense is killing me!

@Mstng93SSP that car is prime for that price, I found an 82 with a rebuilt motor and "fairly aggressive" cams for sale for cheap in my area too. It looked beat on the outside though, the one you linked looks clean tho

I would pass on this car IMO unless it's your thing. The car more than likely has the 4 banger suspension still, spindles, rack, brakes, master cylinder, swap bars, and even the 7.5 non posi rearend. The motor is probably not much to spit at...an 302 out of a truck or crown vic with a carb slapped on it.

There is no positives on this car except it is a notch. Even if some of the above stuff is swapped over....you end up paying more in the end. Been there done that.

I would rather buy from someone who can tell me what was done in swap with receipts and such, but it would be better for you to be able to look at it and see whats what.

I mean most people can not distinguish the difference between the suspension stuff, nor the roller non roller blocks.

Plenty of other mustangs to buy.

Cheap, reliable, fast ....pick two

I'm with foxlover, I wouldn't even be considering that car.
Make a good race car, but that's about it.
Nothing wrong with a 5.0 swap when done right (but it will always possess the title stigma of a 4cyl), the problem is that they are always butchered, just like this car.
No power steering, no ac, carb etc...(don't say it's ok, because in a couple months you will be bleeding cash to fix those things).
By the time this car is done right, you could have just bought a good one with no headaches that actually has some resale value.

So I figured I’d update you all on the resolution of the car! So took a look at it shortly after this posting. Flaming river manual rack and flaming river coilovers all the way around. Sounds like a mild cam, Holley 650 dp and edelbrock intake manifold. Car runs nice with a little carb tuning, but needs a full once over once winter is out the door. But all in all, runs nicely. No where near claimed “400 hp” maybe 250 and told the guy that up front. Got the car for $2000. Body is super clean, has a bit of bondo and a little bit of paint chips, but all in all surprisingly solid car. I’d post a vid of idle and revving if I could figure out how

Here she is, Betty Boop! With the Japanese family, name given by p.o. by Betty boop sticker on back window
7BC7D611-24A3-4FF9-A25D-0AD86A701FB0.jpeg
DD8762F9-9CC0-48B8-8132-F10F578C748B.jpeg

So I figured I’d update you all on the resolution of the car! So took a look at it shortly after this posting. Flaming river manual rack and flaming river coilovers all the way around. Sounds like a mild cam, Holley 650 dp and edelbrock intake manifold. Car runs nice with a little carb tuning, but needs a full once over once winter is out the door. But all in all, runs nicely. No where near claimed “400 hp” maybe 250 and told the guy that up front. Got the car for $2000. Body is super clean, has a bit of bondo and a little bit of paint chips, but all in all surprisingly solid car. I’d post a vid of idle and revving if I could figure out how

Here she is, Betty Boop! With the Japanese family, name given by p.o. by Betty boop sticker on back window
7BC7D611-24A3-4FF9-A25D-0AD86A701FB0.jpeg
DD8762F9-9CC0-48B8-8132-F10F578C748B.jpeg

You talked the guy from $3,500 down to $2,000? Good negotiating there! How does it run and drive? I have no guesses about the cam but the car sounds pretty good in the video. Hopefully you're happy with your purchase. What's on your list of "to do" with the car?

the brakes are first on the list, rear drivers side likes to stick so I’m gunna start with rotors calipers and pads, thing runs and drive nice otherwise, deffinitely not a daily driver but Sunday cruiser it will be great. Do brakes first, make sure she’s tuned nicely, it’s running a bit rich right now, then just clean up all the terrible wiring! That’s pretty much it for 2018 at this point, gunna get a few baseline runs at the drags and probably get he itch for more power, but I’m saving that for later :nice: