top speed?

• Sponsors (?)

drifterb said:
What kind of HP should I shoot for, while retaining the stock short block?

How can I build a higher rev capable motor with a redline near 8000rpm?
Those two goals conflict.

With the stock shortblock, naturally aspirated, you can figure on 350 bhp as a good goal.

To get an RPM near 8000 RPM, you'll want to look into a different block, something with more than two-bolt mains. Not to mention a better rotating assembly.

Dave

Anyone besides me ever top your car out on the dyno???? Without the factory gov. our car will go in excess of 175 on the wheel!!! now on the road add into play wind resistance (since our cars are aerodynamic as a brick) and other outside forces and realistically you are looking at tops 160 and thats being generous. To push it to 175 your looking at around 350 - 400 hp and lots of RPM's. So what you need is a new block capable of handling this rpm range, a balanced rotating assembly great flowing heads and a few more cubes. otherwise stock motor I dont see doing it (unless power adder is employed). good luck with that and keep us updated.

drifterb said:
I want to run a G-Force T-5
(2.46, 1.54, 1.22, 1.00, 0.59)

What gear ratio should I run?

Here you go, have fun.
Gearing/RPM/Speed Calculator

drifterb said:
What kind of HP should I shoot for, while retaining the stock short block?

I believe the hp has been covered. Once again, in theory, 350 hp will get you to 175 mph. It'll take you a while to get there though, so look for 400-450 hp. That will give you a little leeway so you won't need 10 miles to get up to speed. Which brings up another question, how quickly are you looking at getting to this speed? Less than a mile? 2 miles? 1/4 mile? The distance will greatly affect the power you need.

As far as the stock block, you should seriously sit down and consider your goals for the car. If you're looking at turning up to this speed once or twice, fine. A stock block will do that. Doing it on a repeated basis is another story. The cost of going fast is exponentially proportional to the speed. Keep that in mind.

drifterb said:
How can I build a higher rev capable motor with a redline near 8000rpm?

If you're going to 8K, forget the stock block. You'll need an aftermarket assembly if you expect to have any reliability. The stock block is just too unstable. But you don't need high RPM for high speed. Build the power, then gear appropriately. For example, I may be swapping my 3.08's for 2.73's as an exchange for rpm.

Getting a Mustang to speeds in excess of 150 isn't exactly simple. Sure, you can take a stock 94-95 GT, strap on a blower with gobs of boost, and tape all the seams (and remove the mirrors, wipers, etc) and see 175. Safely and reliably though is not on the menu.

me and one of my friends, originally were planning on f**kin with this guy we know with a viper since our cars look identical on the outside and sound similar, he was buildin' his car for 1/4 and I wanted to know what It would take to build my car for topspeed

But, now that I know that not many mustang owners even care about topspeed let alone pushing their rides past 90mph any chance they get manly 'cause their scared..

I was originally building my car to drift but occassional top speed blasts & competitions would be great!

:cheers:

drifterb said:
But, now that I know that not many mustang owners even care about topspeed let alone pushing their rides past 90mph any chance they get manly 'cause their scared..
Really cause I was just doing 100mph on the turn pike (no traffic). Most of the guys here are in to 1/4 drag racing while still keeping it a daily driver (Most only own 1 car for now) I don't see the need to go 175 at the track on my daily driver nor would I think about going that fast on the street that's just fckin stupid to do (not towards you at all just in general). Most are concerned about getting these high mile 302's in the low 13, 12, 11, hell even the 10 secend time zone by using the right combo/set-up to do it in. Also mustangs are not that great for drifting a FWD car would suit you better for this need imo. I still say to beat that viper on a budget or should I say cost affective is to just up-grade the fuel, ignition, andd traction and spray the biotch.

drifterb said:
me and one of my friends, originally were planning on ****in with this guy we know with a viper since our cars look identical on the outside and sound similar, he was buildin' his car for 1/4 and I wanted to know what It would take to build my car for topspeed
You would spend all that money to beat a guy once in a viper :shrug:

drifterb said:
Most mustang care about what cars trap in the 1/4 not on the street. Most of us don't push our rides past 90 not because we are scaried but becuase we don't want a ticket. And if I got in a wreak and killed someone going 100+ mph I don't think I could forgive myself. Don't be stupid with your car man.

drifterb said:
I was originally building my car to drift
Our cars can do that?
J/K

Dustin

drifterb said:
me and one of my friends, originally were planning on f**kin with this guy we know with a viper since our cars look identical on the outside and sound similar, he was buildin' his car for 1/4 and I wanted to know what It would take to build my car for topspeed

I was originally building my car to drift but occassional top speed blasts & competitions would be great!

Where do you plan on doing top speed blasts, or competitions for that matter? Top speed stuff is typically done on oval tracks, particularly due to the amount of real estate needed to reach 150+ for extended periods. If you're just interested in MPH, then you might have a shot at the Viper. Otherwise, that Viper is already thousands of dollars ahead of you in terms of engine, power, suspension, aerodynamics, and so forth, thus you will have to spend major $$$ to be quicker at 150+. Plus, I don't know too many Viper owners who haven't modded their cars some.

This doesn't sound very realistic or smart. Common sense keeps people under the 100mph mark on public roads, not because their scared......just because they are not stupid. How often can you show off top speed??? Unless you live at the track, your only option is public roads. Plus, top speed stuff is usually only of interest at drag strips, but not the main interest.

The amount of mods needed to safely go 175 consistently AND to just screw around with someone just doesn't justify the effort. Sounds kind of juvenile. No offense, but again......where do you plan on reaching top speed?

How about answering some of the questions already asked? Need info.

wytstang said:
Also mustangs are not that great for drifting a FWD car would suit you better for this need imo.

R U Kidding me? FWD? WTF! U can't drift a fwd car - all u can do is rip the e-brake, and to keep it going you would need lots of power to the wheels

SuperDust22 said:
You would spend all that money to beat a guy once in a viper :shrug:
Most mustang care about what cars trap in the 1/4 not on the street.

To beat the viper would just be for bragging rights(which only last for so long)

Racing the 1320 is a great adrenaline rush but only realistically lasts what 13,12, 11, 10 secs more/less; I want to build an all around car capable of 12s, 160+mph, 1.0+g skidpads, etc..yet in a near full interior & optioned car that could be potentially driven daily - To me this would be more exiciting.

Ive owned several cars in my 6 years of ownership: 1984 VW Rabbit GTi, 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula WS6(top speed 145mph), 1987 M-Benz 190E 2.3-16V(top speed 160mph), 3-1991 Honda CRXs 1-hi 13s, 1990 Mustang GT 'Vert' Bolt-Ons, etc...over 15+

baglock1 said:
It requires enormous amounts of mods to do properly. Stickers, neon, huge wing, etc. It's really for the professionals.

You know I kinda liked your car before this ignorant statement...don't be stupid...Mustangs can be excellent drift cars they already have plenty of power to get and stay sideways stock! they're light in the ass end a few suspensions mods and more grip and they can be excellent contenders in Japanese dominated contest...just ask Bob Bondurant(and his Drift School)...but, I almost forgot about your blindness directed down the 1/4 mile strip only!

Black95GTS said:
You forgot Altezza's and the custom roof scoop.

You're a dick

Car Nut said:
Where do you plan on doing top speed blasts, or competitions for that matter? Plus, I don't know too many Viper owners who haven't modded their cars some.

This doesn't sound very realistic or smart. Common sense keeps people under the 100mph mark on public roads, not because their scared......just because they are not stupid. How often can you show off top speed??? Unless you live at the track, your only option is public roads. Plus, top speed stuff is usually only of interest at drag strips, but not the main interest.

The amount of mods needed to safely go 175 consistently AND to just screw around with someone just doesn't justify the effort. Sounds kind of juvenile. No offense, but again......where do you plan on reaching top speed?

How about answering some of the questions already asked? Need info.

There's the Silver City Run, The Cannonball Run - legit version, The One Lap of America, and of course one day an Autobahn run. Not to forget the Salt Flats.

The Big Dog - Viper GTS is one of many in my area, runs 10s down the 1320 and has a top speed somewhere between 200-250mph

Im starting to move more towards the track for test my car out now in the past Ive participated in countless street races and highway runs versus' M3s, NSXs, Vettes, and escaped those dreaded NYS Camaros - I do realise this is not safe but not much sometimes not even sex can match the adernaline of racing at speed over 150+mph

:cool:

drifterb said:
You know I kinda liked your car before this ignorant statement...don't be stupid... Mustangs can be excellent drift cars they already have plenty of power to get and stay sideways stock! they're light in the ass end a few suspensions mods and more grip and they can be excellent contenders in Japanese dominated contest...just ask Bob Bondurant(and his Drift School)...

My comment wasn't about the Mustang being poorly suited for drifting. It was directed towards drifting being the gayest form of *cough cough* motorsports in recent history.

Any event where the final score is based on the judges perception vs empirical data (i.e. a clock) isn't racing. It's figure skating.

That's not to say that stepping the rear out around corners isn't fun. It just isn't racing.

drifterb said:
but, I almost forgot about your blindness directed down the 1/4 mile strip only!

Oh give me a friggin break you tool. Ask anyone on this board and they'll tell you that I don't give a rat's ass about drag racing. My car is built for events that you're looking at (drifting excluded of course). OT, ORR, Bonneville... that's what I'm building for.

Do I think shooting for a top speed goal is dumb. Hell no, and never did I say that. Hell, if you could read, you'd see that in my very first post in this thread, I said:

I'm currently on a quest for the 300 mph mark, but that's a whole 'nother story.

What everyone in this thread is trying to tell you (which you seem to keep ignoring) is building a car to go 175+ just to screw with a damn Viper ONE TIME is a fool's quest. If that's the case, bolt on a 200 shot of spray and go do it. Don't waste our damn time by acting like you're going to dump a ton of money into a car for one event, because unless you're Bill Gates, it isn't going to happen.

You want to go fast? Fine. Start answering some of the questions that have been asked so we can give you the answers. You asked the question so obviously you want the info. Otherwise, let the thread die and reconsider what you want the car to do.

drifterb said:
sometimes not even sex can match the adernaline of racing at speed over 150+mph

you must not being good sex. :D

You built the car the way you want it. It is your car. But you not to see most mustangs like ours doing thing ****. And there is a reason for it. Most everyone on this board cares about lowering there ET's and making there look better. Not trying to go 150+ across America. And if you want to drift go buy a AWD car and live in Japan. That is where you see that stuff the most. Or you see some dumb ass kid doing it in there neighborhood. I actually just saw this on the News the other day. Some kid was drifting around a corner lost control and hit a car coming the other direction. So you really spend all that money to beat a Viper once? So whats happens if you lose. You just wasted your money and you DONT have bragging rights. Real racers don't build there cars so they can run around bragging about it to everyone.

And how the hell did your 1987 M-Benz 190E 2.3-16V go 160. What did you do to it.

Dustin

SuperDust22 said:
And if you want to drift go buy a AWD car and live in Japan. That is where you see that stuff the most.And how the hell did your 1987 M-Benz 190E 2.3-16V go 160. What did you do to it.
Dustin

Again with the Drifting...you don't know **** so drop your comments - you gotta have a lotta dough to compete in an AWD car and WTF would I want to live in Japan - You're a dick too!

M-Benz: JET CPU, 4" drop, Remus Exhaust, SS Headers, No Cats, K&N, Uprated Ignition, Uprated Suspension, 3.27 gears stock E-shift, did 141-2mph before JET CPU clocked 160mph during a late nigh Interstate run.

All Im looking for is an inexpensive 12sec combo with a higher redline if needed, I want to run a T-5 with different gears, and was wondering which rearend gears I could run to achieve my goal.

I'm not just interested in this to beat 1Viper on the street, I want to build a more unique Mustang than the norm.

Any help would be appreciated. :nice:

drifterb said:
Again with the Drifting...you don't know **** so drop your comments - you gotta have a lotta dough to compete in an AWD car and WTF would I want to live in Japan - You're a dick too!

Okay your officially a dumb ass. What kind of cars do you think do drifting. AWD! You are going to get your ass handed to you every ****ing time unless you are just a dip**** and fly around corners. Which you probably are.

drifterb said:
All Im looking for is an inexpensive 12sec combo with a higher redline if needed, I want to run a T-5 with different gears, and was wondering which rearend gears I could run to achieve my goal.
inexpensive 12sec combo NA? Sorry but that is not cheap. H/C/I might get you there. But not cheap. But you probably already knew that since you are so ****ing smart.

The inexpensive way to get there would be nitrous. Gears I would say 3.27. Mostly likely what you have stock.
drifterb said:
I'm not just interested in this to beat 1Viper on the street, I want to build a more unique Mustang than the norm.
Once again 175+mph on the street. YOUR AN IDIOT. If I saw you doing that I would beat your ass. Please tell me you would be doing that at Salt Flats or somewhere.
drifterb said:
I want to build a more unique Mustang than the norm.

Go buy a big ass wing and some stickers. That would be different for all of us here at SN.

Dustin

I've read about the serious guys who do the Silver City Run and the like. A couple magazines (5.0 and MM&FF) did a feature on some guy who set a high speed record in a mustang. What I do remember is that these guys had built engines, cage, blower w/intercoolers, and attention to aerodynamics (undercarriage tray, ground effects, etc.). All that to say this:

To be realistic in making a car that can run 160+ and maintain 100+ speeds for long races, you're gonna need an engine built from a company like D.S.S. They can put you in the right direction and ensure that you have the right combination of engine parts.

DRIFTING:

This stuff is all over the TV now and has been popular in Japan for quite a while. It looks like this will be hear to stay. I don't see it as racing, but it is definitely competitive. Costs are high, though, and the cars do sport lots of stickers, but for the pros its for advertising. And yes, it turns out there are pros getting paid good money for their skill. Not my thing, though.

Thanks for answering the questions.