Torque spec on front rotor/ bearing nut?

SlamminGears

Nov 14, 2010
I am replacing my front rotors and pads on my 91 GT. I have everything done except for tightening the nut that hold everything together. I have searched high and low, in and out of the chilton manual, and haven't found how tight to tighten the nut.

• Sponsors (?)

Ford Shop Manual says....

5. While rotating the wheel, hub- and rotor assembly in a counterclockwise direction, tighten the adjusting nut to 17 - 25 ft-lb to seat the bearings.

6. Loosen the adjusting nut one-half turn, and then retighten Ford spec is for the final tightening is closer to 20 in-lbs.

7. Place the nut retainer on the adjusting nut, so the castellation on the retainer are in-line with the cotter pin hole in the spindle.

8. Install a new cotter pin, and bend the ends around the castellation flange of the nut retainer.

9. Check front wheel rotation. If the wheel rotates properly, install the grease cap and wheel cover. If rotation is noisy and rough, follow procedures under "Replacement and Lubrication.

10. Before driving the vehicle, pump the brake pedal several times to restore normal brake pedal travel.

Or, while turning the rotor, tighten the nut until the rotor starts to bind, then back the nut off 1 "flat" or 1/6th of a turn.

This pretty much how I do it w/o any problems. The key is to make sure you spin the rotor while you tighten down the nut, this really helps to seat the bearing and not have alot of play after. pretty much the main cause for people having alot of play after driving. they just tightened, backed of a little and finished but skipped spinning the rotor part.