towing a manual trans mustang with a dolly

juniordelor

Oct 13, 2007
fl
Hi guys,
I wanted to know if you guys ever tow your manual transmission mustang with a tow dolly. i will be moving the car 300 miles away, will the car be fine if i put the front wheel on the dolly and put the trans in neutral? any input will be deeply appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

DSCN0705.JPG

DSCN0708.JPG

I've pulled my 04 on the dolly 3 or 4 times, but only because a trailer wasn't available to me. If possible, use a trailer though, the dolly was kind of squirrelly for me after about 45 mph.

I did it the way you're talking about and took my time and didn't have any problems, except since my car is lowered it scraped the bottom of the tailpipes once over some bumps.

The trans and rear end will be fine with that short of a distance. I would be worried about everything else:

Rocks, bottoming out, ect.

Yeah i think i will go with the car trailer. i was trying to save some money because the dolly was cheaper from uhaul,but at the same time i don't want to mess my car up in the process of transporting it and end up spending lot more money later. thanks for your inputs.

I would think towing an automatic would be a much different situation. In a manual transmission, the geartrain is oiled by the gears spinning around and slinging and splashing oil around. An automatic is oiled by turning a pump which is usually right behind the torque converter... thus the pump isn't spinning when you spin the rear wheels.

you will be alright. We have towed a small truck (Mazda B-series) behind our F150 (brother wrecked his TT 350z in the snow hahaha) 300 miles and it was on a tow Dolley. it wont hurt a thing and the truck is a manual as well. I know its not a stang but its gonna be the same thing. just be careful over bumps so you dont smash up your tail pipes lol.

Just wanna add a quick story that I laugh about with my brother all the time. One day he goes out to drive his car its less than 20k miles on it and the clutch just goes bye bye on a stock car and we call a tow truck and what do you know its a Ford...so I have a nice picture still for him everyday he steps outta line with his japanese giberish lol :D

Good thing it died though before he installed the TT kit otherwise warranty wouldnt have fixed it for him lol

Sorry just wanted to share that cause it made me think about it. :rlaugh:

being Towed by a FORD.jpg

hahaha gets me every time

Thanks! I looked up a quote on uhauls website. to get from NY down to GA (renting a trailer and truck) will be at least 1k depending on the size of truck.

dude. i cant believe they will let people drive their largest sized truck PLUS tow a car on a trailer with a Class D license!