towing with an n/a

boondocksaint

Aug 31, 2003
i have a buyer for my 87 lx 4 cyl. the lady wanted to know if she could tow a small pop-up camper with it. i told her i did not know. i have seen some people tow with a classic stang but they had small blocks in them. my ? is, has anyone ever towed with theirs? if so how heavy what you were towing? also need to know what type of hitch fits under this car. thanks in advance. this is not the end of my fox body adventure, just bored with the n.a. will be doing a turbo next.

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen a ton of 4 cyl Mustangs around here with big ugly hitches on them but I've always wondered what the heck you could tow with it. :shrug: :confused: lol anyways, a lot of them that I've seen have had big holes cut out of the rear bumper cover so the ball hitch will fit through. :mad:

This is what my Owner's Manual says (it is a 93, but should be similar to an 87):

"Your vehicle does not come from the factory fully equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers...Your vehicle is classified as a light-duty towing vehicle."

It also says that the weight limit for a loaded trailer is 1000 lbs. or 454 kg.

There's a ton more info in the manual about towing, so if you have your owner's manual make sure you give it to her when you sell the car.

i found out they do make 1 hitch that you dont have to do any butchering on the car, also the pop up camper is not very heavy, tolerance on the tongue is 300 lbs(i think thats how its described).hate to see her cut it up just to tow a pop up camper, so i told her when i handed her the keys that my 10 man camping tent(brand new) was in the back seat and she was more than welcome to it, and advised her not to tow with it. thanks for the reply

I don't think towing with an n/a 2.3L would be a huge deal, I mean people tow stuff with 2.3L rangers and they had the exact same engine. It makes pretty good low-end torque for a four cylinder. Also carrying 3 people in the car with you is probably the same amount of weight as towing a small trailer.

What I DON'T think would be up to the task is the suspension. I highly doubt the rear suspension is set up for towing anything, the car would probably be sitting on the bump stops with 300 lbs on the tongue.