Fox Trailer hitch

• Sponsors (?)

20190709_163001.jpg
20190709_162951.jpg

Sorry for the terrible pics. I think I'll hit it with a wheel and repaint it so it looks decent. The flat plate goes inside the C channel rear bumper. The main piece goes on the outside and it clamps together to sandwich the bumper. The two vertical bolts attach to the bottom of the C channel bumper. Once installed it looks like the picture above....my feature convertible. It's really not that noticeable. I pulled just over 1k pounds of motorcycle and trailer several hours on the interstate with no problem. The vert was stock brakes and suspension. T5 car. Factory radiator as well. That's all I can think of...lol.
If i can help just let me know. It's an easy piece to make. Even if you have to pay a welder there's very little welding anyway.

Thank you. Part of what I was wondering is where to best clear the LX exhaust and gas tank. It’s tight back there. If a stock convert can handle minor towing, the B springs, upgraded sway bars and shocks/struts should be good to go. Post bookmarked and pics saved.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. Part of what I was wondering is where to best clear the LX exhaust and gas tank. It’s tight back there. If a stock convert can handle minor towing, the B springs, upgraded sway bars and shocks/struts should be good to go. Post bookmarked and pics saved.
Yeah this hitch is compact. No issues. I saw my CAD file the other day. Maybe I can do some screen shots to show the dimensions.

300 lb of tongue weight would reduce tire spin. To do that without adding weight to the car, I could see putting the adults in the back seat nearer the rear axle. I need teach my oldest to drive a clutch this summer anyway. She’ll want to use the extra traction, so I have not been in a hurry about it.:eek:

It could probably aid traction a bit... :D

Your hitch looks super HD compared to the 94+ one I can find.
if you can share some important dimensions, that would save time with cardboard templates. But even the pictures and description help know if the universal assembly required kit would be a good place to start with or if I should go from scratch.
1592853897599.png

I’d help my second kid buy an F150
(tubas are too tall for a Ranger with a tonneau cover), but that’s not insurance friendly for a school permit. So he’s getting the green police car in disguise G. Marquis. And if he enjoys it even half as much as I have, it’s not likely to come back to us after college. That “luxury” model tows a flatbed band trailer (made from a mobile house frame) better than a Explorer Sport Track. The ST will do the hokey pokey at highway speeds with even a slightly stubborn trailer.

Yeah this hitch is compact. No issues. I saw my CAD file the other day. Maybe I can do some screen shots to show the dimensions.

I bought some parts from a fellow last year. We got talking about the cars he is parting out and how long he has been doing that. He said back in the day he would pick up project/parts cars using his Mustang and a car dolly.

I think the best solution is the frame mounted type of hitch and then if needed come up with a receiver that will offset under the GT skirt and put the ball at the correct height. If you can't find a kit, try a trailer shop. They can usually build a hitch to suit as well as a receiver when given the correct instructions.

I don't know about pulling a car with a Mustang. That seems a little balsy. When I lived in Daytona, there was one guy pulling a 22' boat around with a yellow SN. I"d poop myself if I had to pull a boat of that size up a ramp with a Mustang.

Kurt

I bought some parts from a fellow last year. We got talking about the cars he is parting out and how long he has been doing that. He said back in the day he would pick up project/parts cars using his Mustang and a car dolly.

I think the best solution is the frame mounted type of hitch and then if needed come up with a receiver that will offset under the GT skirt and put the ball at the correct height. If you can't find a kit, try a trailer shop. They can usually build a hitch to suit as well as a receiver when given the correct instructions.
I never understand responses like this. This isn't something "my friend said he used to do" or a theory of something to try that "might" work. I built it already. I pulled decent weight already. The design of this part came from the company that made them for Fox bodies and that I use to install for people at my shop. It was a mustang only shop that I started when the Fox first came out.
We used to have a guy here that we called "Hot Rod Rider." He didn't even have a car. He just rode with someone to all our races and cruise-ins. He got his name because it never failed that when he showed up, he'd start telling us what we needed to do to our cars or why this part or that part wasn't right. I finally exploded on him one night and dragged him thru the drivers side window of his chauffeur.

I never saw him after that.

Yo Wayne, take a chill pill. I was not cutting up or bashing your solution.

I was expressing an option (custom make it) that is a version of something I have seen on an SUV where the framing and hitch was tucked up behind the body cladding. The receiver would come out, go down under the body cladding and up to the appropriate height for the receiver ball.

I am one of those that believes anyone who cuts holes in the GT rear panel for a hitch or exhaust tailpipes (get a Cobra bumper cover is you want to see you tailpipes) should be shot and forced to eat there own innards.

I believe there is a solution where you can have a light duty hitch, not see it normally and it be fully functional. I also believe (and based on your hitch solution I think you do too) that if the aftermarket can make something, I (we) can make it as good, maybe better, likely cheaper and have a whole lot more fun and satisfaction doing it ourselves.

I don't know if you lashed out because its past your bedtime (I know it is mine), but relax. Take peoples ideas for that, an idea. Accept that others have good ideas too and you may be able to make them better yourself someday (as we all strive to do).

Thank you and good night.

Oh sorry, I guess this is not a new idea. Someone on 4eyed Pride already did it a few years ago.

Pics on post #62

Yo Wayne, take a chill pill. I was not cutting up or bashing your solution.

I was expressing an option (custom make it) that is a version of something I have seen on an SUV where the framing and hitch was tucked up behind the body cladding. The receiver would come out, go down under the body cladding and up to the appropriate height for the receiver ball.

I am one of those that believes anyone who cuts holes in the GT rear panel for a hitch or exhaust tailpipes (get a Cobra bumper cover is you want to see you tailpipes) should be shot and forced to eat there own innards.

I believe there is a solution where you can have a light duty hitch, not see it normally and it be fully functional. I also believe (and based on your hitch solution I think you do too) that if the aftermarket can make something, I (we) can make it as good, maybe better, likely cheaper and have a whole lot more fun and satisfaction doing it ourselves.

I don't know if you lashed out because its past your bedtime (I know it is mine), but relax. Take peoples ideas for that, an idea. Accept that others have good ideas too and you may be able to make them better yourself someday (as we all strive to do).

Thank you and good night.
I am chilled and it's not past my bedtime. I just ate too much peanut butter again! :jester:

Good retort!

• Haha
Oh sorry, I guess this is not a new idea. Someone on 4eyed Pride already did it a few years ago.

Pics on post #62
Nope...not new at all....I built mine 20 years ago...lol.

StangHitch0001.jpg

StangHitch0002.jpg
StangHitch0003.jpg
StangHitch0004.jpg

Here are the assembly drawings. My original file was in Autocad and would have been difficult to see on here so I drew it in Sketchup this morning and colored it up for clarity. I didn't draw the fasteners. I'll measure mine and see what they are and post that info. I am also going to check the actual part as finished against the drawing to make sure I didn't make any changes on the fly. I'll post those tomorrow probably. Next post is the individual parts....

Last edited:
StangHitch0005.jpg
StangHitch0006.jpg
StangHitch0007.jpg
StangHitch0008.jpg
parts.JPG

You'll want to go to a local steel company (not Lowes!!) and get the parts. Just ask them for a piece of tubing that will accept a 2" ball mount. People get them all the time and the store here has all those parts in the front lobby on a shelf. Make sure to measure the tubing outside diameter and make the hole for it match. You will need to center the hitch and mark the bumper for drilling of the vertical holes on the red bracket. There are lots of ways to modify this design for slight variations. If you need help just let me know.

All good fabrication, and I can appreciate the build aspect of it. But at this stage of the game (cars are 30 years old)..... shouldn’t we be towing with something different?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
shouldn’t we be towing with something different?

What if your towing really old stuff? lol
F250 might be ideal

better yet, buy your wife a truck.

:lol:

But

I love the utilitarian / versatility aspect of this. ie. more reasons to drive the stang!
Wayne I bet you could sell a couple...just saying ;)